Need Hammock Chair DIY info

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

Need Hammock Chair DIY info

Post by sudden » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I want to make one of these but can't find anyone who has actual measurements. Any DIY'd versions out there that you know of???

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Re: Need Hammock Chair DIY info

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Find the most comfortable chair in your house..and take dimensions.. ;) I though you were going to make a sling type chair..which is basically done by hanging your hammock from one point instead of two..or two points closer together.Are you sure you want to pack two hammocks or chairs where you are going?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm

realityguy wrote:Find the most comfortable chair in your house..and take dimensions.. ;) I though you were going to make a sling type chair.
I couldn't describe it well so I put a picture up instead. The hammock as a chair idea is separate from this.

This weekend, I sat in one of the chairs pictured. I was looking at it and it seems like something you could make with leftover scraps of material. (I should have measured it :roll: but didn't). I just assumed there would be some information out there but so far no luck. The chair I tried was hung indoors and made of heavy material. I wanted to make one out of leftover ripstop. It's not something I would carry into the woods. It would be too hard (imo) to hang it. I just thought it would be nice to have one, and an easy diy project. It's a real comfortable chair design, I fell asleep in it.

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:49 pm

I've been watching these video's too. It's not the same but I think I could use the seat dimensions from this and just wing it for the rest of the chair.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:04 pm

You can probably figure out something like that easy enough.My big concerns would be your circulation cut off where your legs drape off the front.Using a standard comfortable chair gives you the basic measurements for back length,butt to knees,and legs suspended below and a head rest.The rest is simply some method of hanging the thing from whatever is handy and suspension at the right points as not to pinch your body here and there.

Other camp hammock ideas...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIFR3tT ... re=related I think with that idea and video you can come up with something similar..maybe incorporating a trek pole for the main support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF0FX0y6 ... re=related I sometimes carry a "gear hammock" that suspends below my hammock to keep stuff dry and out of the dirt.it could also be used for that idea.Roughly 44" wide and 72" long rectangle with the line running through the end sleeves for "gathering" with a long nylon strap for tying to trees or hook to the ends of the hammock itself.
If I was to use it for a chair around camp,I'd probably want a sleeve along one edge and be able to gather the back top edge across the two suspension points..and eliminate the midpoint piece across(not really needed anyway).All you are really doing is making a smaller dual purpose hammock (gear and chair) that uses items at the site for support so you don't have to carry them with you..other than maybe a trek pole to keep the suspension points apart.Any stick around camp could do that also.(gear storage shown in the beach camp picture)

If you figure the length between the back of your knees to the top of your head..that'll make a good support system for the backside of your body...Hung at a height to where your feet are still on the ground should be comfortable..A person could probably have just two tieouts for across the back(the width of your back plus about 6"-8") at the right shoulder points and you wouldn't need a third sleeve along one edge,just a couple tieouts to keep the hammock apart so it doesn't squeeze you at that point.(Dan ..are you taking notes for your bridge hammock?)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 pm

This video looks helpful, minus the frame.

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks all for the ideas.

The one I sat in had a foot rest that hung along with the chair. The "amazing" chair looks just a little larger than the foot rest so now I have that dimension. The one that connied linked is most like what I sat in. They had pockets sewn into the webbing for a large dowel rod. You had to be careful not to pull yourself up by the dowel or you could pull it right out and collapse the chair.

RG, you really know your stuff. The one thing I didn't like about the one I sat in was the way it dug into the back of my legs. I figured if I made my own I could solve that. The way they solved it was the foot rest (or maybe I would need to tie it differently). Once your feet are in the foot rest it works well. I want a foot rest too but want to use it without it too.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 pm

The most important thing to remember is that everybody is built differently and if you do get dimensions off the web they may not work for you.It may have been put together by someone with a totally different frame than you and fit you like a thong or a grocery bag... :lol: ..that's why I recommended taking your own measurements for something off a comfy chair that fits YOU!
If most of the support system is something found at the site(tree,branches,sticks) or something you are carrying anyway(trek poles,ice ax,etc) the addition of a chair can be of minimal weight gain or dual purpose..like the gear hammock.While I use the chair,I won't be lying in the hammock so my stuff can go in there..and staying out of the mud or rain.When I use the hammock,I can put my junk in the gear hammock.You could probably incorporate that into a poncho also. ..or I could use my cape/ as a chair/as a gear hammock with the proper tie-outs.. :roll: and probably gain camp gear and save a pound or two.. ;)

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:53 am

realityguy wrote:The most important thing to remember is that everybody is built differently and if you do get dimensions off the web they may not work for you
I found some good ideas on a manufacturer site that fits wheelchairs to people. It makes sense that they would be very concerned about comfort and custom fit. These are the type that someone like Steven Hawking requires. They take measurements for the seat back head rest area. The seat width is the tricky one to get right. You can't go by normal measurements for a chair since the hammock curves in as you sit down.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 pm

In that case don't measure across your butt as much as around your butt. :lol: .I'm assuming the seat portion of a favorite chair is rounded and not a dining type(hard seat) chair...