Need Hammock Chair DIY info

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

Re: Need Hammock Chair DIY info

Post by sudden » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Another good chair idea. Should work good with hiking poles.
Skip to 3:30
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

That would work!..But I would eliminate the pole,use the trekker collapsed or a stick in the field..You should be able to get the weight down to about 5-6oz..I'm wondering if I added a pole pocket to the center of one end of my gear hammocks..just tie the other end around a tree(spread the top around the strap on the tree..verses gathering it..or two pole pockets at the lower corners so it wraps around your butt more rather than between your legs at the bottom end..just thinking dual purpose again... :roll: I'm going to have to try some options.. ;)
My lekis with the horizontal handles cut off allow a LOT of options for attachment at the handle ends...

The gear hammock should be able to be pitched as a lounge chair..tying the two bottom ends to the trek poles stuck in the ground back towards the tree and the upper ends tied around the tree..no mods needed if therre is no center panel in the gear hammock.
I consider the gear hammock as a pretty universal piece of equipment..gear hammock,lounge chair,extra side curtain for the hammock tarp,cape,pack cover,camp firewood carrier..floor to keep your feet clean in and out of the hammock(or I reach into the gear hammock from inside my hammock and slip on my boots)..I wonder what else I could use them for..?? I wonder if I can sew in a beer holder.(?).. :roll: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I would be afraid I would break my Leki poles.

Have you used your Leki's that way?

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm

I have the same Leki poles as RG (just paid too much).

I believe the adjusters are rated to 300lbs so they should work. They might not shorten up as much as the pole he is using so you may end up sitting a little higher.

Heading back to RG's photobucket to look at the gear hammock again :ugeek:

I'm thinking a Toggle through the leki handle might work.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm

I have the same Leki poles as RG (just paid too much).

Mine were $2 each at a thrift store..hard to pass up,and no loss to modify.I like them much better now.I never really used the 90 degree handles,too hard on the wrists, and I can now hold them from thumb or palm over the top,thumb through,or whatever feels right at the "moment",depending if I'm stepping down over sasquatch-sized root steps,uphill over the roots, or cruising on zamboni groomed trails like in the ONP...I find the small strap holes fit the metal and fiberglass tent poles nice and snug so I use the pair as a main frame for a tent also with whatever is needed in between for a "width pole" that flexes with the two ends of the poles out at the bottom.I usually only need to pack a couple 12-15" pieces of poles for some of my tents..Leki arch..Most or maybe even all of my homemade tents are based on one or two of those poles...since I pack them for relief on my knees anyway.

Since the gear hammock is "sleeved" I could just tie the pole handles in at the width necessary,stick them in the dirt, slope them back towards the center of a tree .I can make a drink holder that attached to the handle with a velcro tie..easy enough..and right where it should be.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 pm

One more note..I did pull out a gear hammock but the 6' length is way too long and the tree in the yard I was trying to hang it from was about 3' in diameter,straps too short. :lol: Oh well..Someday I'll have to make another about 4' long(and longer straps or use another tree) and try that..maybe make the sewing on the ends a bit more skookum also to hold body weight..Right now it's made for gear...

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

The top spreader bar is 20"
The side spreader bars are 30"
The width of fabric at the head is 20"
The width of fabric at edge of the seat is 30"
The curve along the edges are about 40"

A triangle piece of fabric finished size 30" wide and height (depth) 12" is attached to the top piece. I would go with a depth of at least 15" if I did it again. The triangle piece attaches to a top piece that is laterally symmetrical. When folded down the center of the back it forms a "J" shape.

Not mine, found the info on google.

Take a look at these:

http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/amazonas.html

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Mine were $2 each at a thrift store..hard to pass up,and no loss to modify.
Where are those thrift stores?

This model had bad "reviews" but REI put the "upgrade" twist-locks inside.

I got my Leki's marked down to $19.95 under the REI label.

They are great! But I paid too much.

Now, that I have a "tree table" made from a thin plastic cutting board, I like the price better.

Even so, I wouldn't use the poles for a backpacking chair, non the less, for a porch chair. Nope.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 pm

They were at Deseret,the Mormon one.My locks are holding up okay..

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:34 am

The locks are holding up on mine, too, and REI will replace the locks.

If not, the locks are sold separately and REI will install them for you.

We don't have Deseret, here.