wilderness survival/outdoor first aid

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

Re: wilderness survival/outdoor first aid

Post by sudden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Stomp occasionally.

I used to carry a .357 loaded with shot shells when fishing in snake country. I stopped doing that after I met a 90yr old woman who had just killed a 6ft rattlesnake with a shovel in her flower garden. Much nicer not lugging that heavy gun along. Snakes would rather get out of your way. Just be careful if you climb up the sunny stream bank, that might not be a branch you are reaching for.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm

I am not fond of snakes even though I use to own a 5 foot Rainbow boa contrictor. My question is; if your tent has a floor and you keep the doors closed, what is there to worry about? Can snakes bite thru tent materials to access warmer conditions? I would think if you keep your zippered door closed tight and check your boots if you leave them in the vestibule, you should be fairly safe. Last year I steeped right over a 4-5 foot black water snake on an overgrown trail without even realizing it until my hiking partner behind me gave me the heads up :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 pm

let me rephrase that..The pair I had were chaps that attached to the belt and actually HAD tin on them up about the knees or so..had a strap for under the arch(over your boots) and buckled behind above the knee if I remember right...At first we couldn't figure out what they were for until someone told us..I don't hike or hunt in snake territory if I can help it..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am

http://www.wholesalehuntingequipment.co ... short.html - BEST PRICE
I like that style better than gaiters. I'll be in steep terrain looking for a vein of chert and endangered plant species. The area has a remnant population of timber rattlers. Area is off limits to general hikers due to a cave having 3 species of rare bats. I have special permission from the IL dept of nat. resources to enter. The population of snakes has increased due to "no traffic" in the state preserve. Very rugged terrain.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/