Heads Up White Box Stove Owners

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Heads Up White Box Stove Owners

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Stove explodes. Could happen to you. Read video comments to know how to prevent this from happening to you.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Re: Heads Up White Box Stove Owners

Post by DaddyMnM » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 am

He is holding the stove at an angle in one hand, agitating it with movement, and sticking part of his other hand with lighter inside the stove. That's dumb. I don't think this is the stove's fault. Set the stove on a level surface. Drip a little alcohol on the outside and light it. Or, pick up a stick that will fit inside. Wet it with alcohol. Light it. Use some care and that won't happen.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am

DaddyMnM wrote:He is holding the stove at an angle in one hand, agitating it with movement, and sticking part of his other hand with lighter inside the stove. That's dumb. I don't think this is the stove's fault. Set the stove on a level surface. Drip a little alcohol on the outside and light it. Or, pick up a stick that will fit inside. Wet it with alcohol. Light it. Use some care and that won't happen.

Definitely not that sharpest pencil in the box but we all make mistakes and hopefully, learn from those mistakes. That stove is now duel purpose. It is a pencil sharpener ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Ridgerunner,

I don't know why you would say that.

People see people use BIC lighters, all the time, to light the alcohol stoves.

No one says, anywhere, there is a vacuum that can build-up in "pepsi can type" stoves, or, a "stove with jets".

I think anything that has that "catastropic failure" potential in ordinary use (as a stove) is bad design.

I thought the SVEA 123 was the most reliable stove ever, until the "trip leader" used it and it spectacularly flared up.

I would never use it again. I didn't know what happened, until oops56 explained what must have happened.

I had praised it on my website and there was a huge demand again for the SVEA 123. (I advertise my website internationally.)

However, I had already removed it from my website. I won't put it back up.

Any product has to be able to be "reasonably safe" to use as it is sold: in this instance, as a stove.

jon4real was using it only for a stove purpose.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Connie, I don't think I would be tilting a stove at an angle with fuel slooshing around and trying to light it. We are talking about a highly flammable liquid. seems like a good way to get burned. I once tried to refuel an alcohol stove that had went out and this dull pencil got sharpened real quick when I found out the flame was not completely out. I spent the night sleeping with a couple fingers in a container of ice water. The key is to learn from your mistakes. Like DaddyMnm suggested, I bet the next time he uses a match or lights a stick or dry gas instead of putting his fingers inside the burn chamber. I really like the copper wick Zelph uses on some of his stoves that make it safer to light from a distance. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ridebks

Post by ridebks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm

You learn quickly, as i'm sure he has, what not to do! As stated before, not the stoves fault, but human error! Whenever you work with flamable stuff, things can go wrong. Just hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I know that I am going to ask him if i can post his vid on my YT channel to show what can happen. He may have been a bonehead with how he lit it, but give him credit for posting it for others to learn by!

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I really like the copper wick Zelph uses on some of his stoves that make it safer to light from a distance.
QED: good design.

I don't think he is a bonehead.

Alcohol is used as a "back rub". Does the label have the international symbol for high flammability? No.

I have a DarenN "pepsi can style" stove. It is low profile.

No one said, Connie, watch out for the dangerous flare-up. But, HEY! I don't need to tilt it to get a BIC lighter to it.

I think products "for sale" have to meet a certain standard, and, that standard is it can be safely used for the purpose.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

ridebks, I know that I am going to ask him if i can post his vid on my YT channel to show what can happen.
I didn't think you had to ask.

I just put them on my YouTube Channel as "Favorites".

I even "embed" some on my website. The "embed" code is under the video. Click, to see it.

If a person disables "embed" it is not there.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm

I was looking at the "yellow" Heet container.

We are all told "yellow" Heet is the preferred product for our backpacking stoves.

It "reads" DANGER: POISON (skull and crossbones symbol) CONTAINS METHYL ALCOHOL

The fifth line down, "in the fine print" it reads: Keep away from heat or open flame.

If you look, in any forum, or at YouTube, "yellow" Heet is recommended for alcohol stoves designed for backpacking.

In some forums, like this one, there is more information, but NEVER, HAS ANYONE SAID: DO NOT TILT THE STOVE.

If I seem more than "upset" about this it is because, previous to this, only "TINNY" has called his customers names.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

DO NOT TURN YOUR STOVE UPSIDE DOWN WITH FUEL IN IT!
DO NOT POUR FUEL DOWN THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR ALCOHOL STOVE!
DO NOT SPILL FUEL ON YOUR STOVE!
DO NOT POUR FUEL ON YOUR HAND OR YOUR CLOTHINH..AND THEN LIHGT IT!
DO NOT OPERATE AN ALCOHOL STOVE WHILE YOU ARE BLITZED ON ALCOHOL PRODUCTS!
COFFEE IS HOT!
KNIVES ARE SHARP!YOU CAN CUT YOURSELF!
DO NOT RUN WITH SCISSORS!
DO NOT POKE YOURSELF IN THE EYE WITH A SHARP STICK!
If you do any of those..post it to U-tube! :DB:

I thought some things were common sense... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy