Heads Up White Box Stove Owners

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: Heads Up White Box Stove Owners

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I have a soloution for the stove builders to prevent this type of thing happening just in case someone wants to tip their stove to the side to light.

Do not put half round holes at the bottom of the inner wall to let fuel go into the inner chamber. That is where the flame was allowed to enter and super pressurize the chamber and force the liquid fuel out.

None of my stoves have those holes at the base of the inner wall. That is one of the reasons they perform so well. that is a trade secret ;) No longer a secret in the interest of stove safety ;) sometimes we have to do what is right. ;) 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ridebks

Post by ridebks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm sorry, but mixing alcohol and fire IS dangerous and i don't think you need a caution label to tell you that. You could accidently tip over any lit alcohol stove and spill flames everywhere. Doesn't mean it is the stove makers fault for not making a tip proof stove. As far as calling him a bonehead, it was meant as he made a mistake. I've done many stupid(bonehead) things making stoves. But i always make sure there are saftey items around that i can grab in case i need it. Every time i make a new stove there is a chance somthing could go wrong. i happen to subscribe to his channel and think he is a good guy. But in no way do i blame White Box for what happened to him.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 pm

I would think common sense would dictate that if an alcohol stove has a ring of holes around the outside of it..UH..wouldn't alcohol spill out the holes if you tilt it?Isn't it also common sense that if you tilt most stoves full of alcohol it might spill out the top?
Yellow heet isn't listed as a "fuel" per se because it isn't made for that..just happens to work as one like a lot of other flamable products on the market out there..I'm waiting for fire warnings on a log... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm

DO NOT TURN YOUR STOVE UPSIDE DOWN WITH FUEL IN IT!
DO NOT POUR FUEL DOWN THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR ALCOHOL STOVE!
DO NOT SPILL FUEL ON YOUR STOVE!
DO NOT POUR FUEL ON YOUR HAND OR YOUR CLOTHINH..AND THEN LIHGT IT!
DO NOT OPERATE AN ALCOHOL STOVE WHILE YOU ARE BLITZED ON ALCOHOL PRODUCTS!
COFFEE IS HOT!
KNIVES ARE SHARP!YOU CAN CUT YOURSELF!
DO NOT RUN WITH SCISSORS!
DO NOT POKE YOURSELF IN THE EYE WITH A SHARP STICK!
If you do any of those..post it to U-tube! :DB:

I thought some things were common sense... :roll:
GOOD ONE!

Do a YouTube video.

I still think the White Stove sides are too tall for that type of alcohol stove, making it difficult to light.

I still think it is not "operator error". He only tipped the stove a little. He had no reason to expect that result.

The fact is, I wouldn't purchase a "White Stove" because I thought it would be difficult to light.

I also won't use a backpacking alcohol stove that requires sitting on a "priming" pan or preheating the bottom of the stove either. I think such a stove has no place with backpacking because it is so difficult to see the flame in natural light. I think it is an unacceptable fire hazard.

In fact, I think many backpacking alcohol stoves aren't at all suitable for backpacking. I guess that is "showing up" now.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 am

I'm waiting for fire warnings on a log... :roll:
Have you purchased one of those individually wrapped "fake logs" recently?

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 am

zelph, I have a soloution for the stove builders to prevent this type of thing happening just in case someone wants to tip their stove to the side to light.

Do not put half round holes at the bottom of the inner wall to let fuel go into the inner chamber. That is where the flame was allowed to enter and super pressurize the chamber and force the liquid fuel out.

None of my stoves have those holes at the base of the inner wall. That is one of the reasons they perform so well. that is a trade secret ;) No longer a secret in the interest of stove safety ;) sometimes we have to do what is right. ;) 8-)
good designs...

I purchase his stoves.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 am

ConnieD wrote:
I'm waiting for fire warnings on a log... :roll:
Have you purchased one of those individually wrapped "fake logs" recently?
Good one, Connie :lol:

It usually only takes one time of getting the hair burned off your finger or a blister to learn that it is not a good practice to put your bic lighter with your thumb in the fire chamber of an open type alcohol stove ;) Now, I could do an instructional video on the subject but I am not going to burn my fingers again to prove a point. :lol: Besides, someone else has done it for us. The fact that he posted the video tells me he is a man of good nature and character. I did the same when I posted the video of my Ghille kettle blowing up and burning myself pretty good. If it helps someone else out so they don't make the same mistake, then it is worth it plus I have no problem laughing at myself when I make a blunder. :oops: ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 am

i got 2 svea123 that had no windscreen so one got a hardware cloth the other i out of a tin can i copy it close works fine i get a picture of it soon
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 am

Besides..I think in the video he said it was probably his fault... :roll: (his disclaimer about himself)

I was talking real logs as in all of them having to be marked for idjits sitting at a campsite playing with their WBSs.. :lol:
ANY "STOVE" needs common sense to use.Even the electric one at home doesn't carry HOT! warnings.Should it?..maybe in your households..not in mine!Heck if we had to mark all dangerous objects for people that do stupid things..we'd never get/go anywhere or do anything for fear factors..it's the Cleansing Of The Gene Pool or The Lesson Learned!Leave it at that!

How many people in the world do stupid stuff just to see if it can be done or if they themselves can do it?I know a lot of people that should have that DANGER!Tattooed on their foreheads to warn others away from them. :lol:

Should cars be marked as DANGER! because they move and are heavy?..No.People shouldn't expect a stove to not do what it is supposed to do.It emits fire and flame..Prepare for that!I'm sure he forgot to read his instructions and warnings with the WBS he bought,figuring he was smart enough to use it.I guess not.
I guess in RR's case we should have CAUTION! signs spray painted on the deer..at least within his driving range..perhaps it should be the other way around also,for the deer's sake in his area.. ;) :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 am

My oven-range, my microwave, my toaster all have "international symbols" and warnings.

My ipod ...My video cam ...The batteries. Is there something that doesn't have warnings?

It isn't "lawyer speak".

I have a FCC General Class license, yet, my HF amateur radios from Yaesu and Ten Tech have warnings.

zelph sent instructions with my Super Stoves, including instructions for the one "custom" Super Stove.

I commented on joe4real's videos. He seems like a self-depreciating nice guy.

I am not saying White Stove should get a lawsuit. I am not litigious.

I am saying, I wouldn't buy it. I won't recommend it. He illustrates what I think about that design.