Impromptu hangout...

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
JBRanger

Impromptu hangout...

Post by JBRanger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 am

Gotta be in Union City, GA tomorrow at 6 AM so I'm gonna head over tonight and camp. Some nasty T-storms rolling through area so.... I'll post how it all goes. :)

cadyak

Re: Impromptu hangout...

Post by cadyak » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Have fun and take a few extra guylines... :P
I canceled my camping trip with the kids because of tomorrows weather.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:00 pm

100% chance of rain. T-storms, hail, and possible tornados. What could go wrong? Tomorrow is back to back 5k races.... in the mud and rain! WOOT! :DB: :DP:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Motel Six will keep the light on for you. :D

Pick out one of those nice shelters and hang out in there. One with a basement :o

Stay Safe!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Is this a hammock forum "hammock hangout"?

If so, a really big basement.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 am

Well we survived.

Storms stayed just to the north of us most of the night. Wind was crazy though. However about 3 AM the wind shifted and started blowing in the head end of the tarp. I jumped up and closed in the ends to make "doors". However, lightning was popping ALL around me. It knocked out a generator a few hundred yards from me. That's when I bailed for the car. I know my limits.

Anyway, we're safe and had a good time. Just still trying to recover from the run.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 am

I was wondering how your overnighter went. :shock:

We had 6" of rain friday night with strong winds. I had a very big pine tree come down and miss my house by about 10 ft. Worst of all my cable went out during "Gold Rush" :D

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Very sad for all of the lives lost and grateful that we were spared the destruction. One hell of a storm system. As much as I kind of make fun of the "Doomsday Preppers" level of anxiety, preparing for a storm like this one couldnt be criticized. Some of the towns that were wiped off the map are now having a serious snowstorm and will not have power for a week. Woodstoves, Alcohol stoves, etc could be of use for sure.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 pm

For sure. Very sad for those that lost loved ones or property. Definitely they could've used some simple stoves.

BTW, I had my SS and woodgas with me. However, time was tight so I never lit the woodgas and only cooked a quick breakfast with the SS.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm

In San Francisco, CA people purchased family camping tents, the type with a room or two or a screened porch.

For the Northridge earthquake, people set these tents up in the city parks.

People in San Francisco, CA got the idea from that.

In Portland, OR almost everyone had camping gear.

Going camping with your family is a "useful skill". People also need to walk more.

When I lived in San Francisco, CA I took early morning walks, while the air was fresh. May as well breathe fresh air.

I walked through the Presidio of San Francisco over The Golden Gate Bridge and through the Ft. Baker, CA "scenic route" to Sausalito, CA to get a cup of coffee and ride the old ferryboat for the return trip. If you sat in the stern area on the lower deck, well, it was very nice. Bring a warm jacket.

I was just talking with the Equinox owner, today. He said, even The Grand Tetons, WY have few people a few minutes away from the parking lot. That is my experience, here, at Glacier National Park, MT.

People need to take more "walks". People need to stay out overnight "camping".

People need to outfit themselves for a 72-hour emergency overnight.

These are helpful skills.