The Backpacker's Handbook 4th edition

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
ConnieD

The Backpacker's Handbook 4th edition

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

I got Chris Townsend The Backpacker's Handbook 4th edition eBook because I like to know what people are reading.

It mentions developments in backpacking stoves.

There is much said about stoves for backpacking. There is nothing said about your stoves. I was more than disappointed.

Your stoves involve stove science. Your stoves are well-made and well-thought out for backpacking purposes.

This forum is for development of backpacker's stoves. But, hey, you have developed stoves that work well.

I think the website store should state the weight of the stove in grams and in ounces and list the boil time, in the text, with a comment like this stove is designed for melting snow for water. This stove is for hot water fast. This stove is for long cooking time. This stove simmers soup or sauces. This stove has the highest fuel efficiency while boiling 2-cups water in less than 9 minutes. This stove boils a gallon of water in 15 minutes.

My stoves works well with lightweight commercial cookware for backpackers up to 3-4 cups capacity. My stoves have the shortest boil times with thinwall aluminum.

This stove is for the soloist backpacker, efficient for 1-2 cups boiling water only.

My stoves weight very little, carry two: one for a fast boil, one for simmer if that suits your food preparation method.

Whatever.

In that manner, people who just want to buy a stove will know what they are getting. Sell stoves to them.

I think your stoves belong in the Chris Townsend The Backpacker's Handbook next edition.

zelph

Re: The Backpacker's Handbook 4th edition

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Do they have DIY stoves in the book? Mine are in that catagory.

I would think the majority of the stoves are canister type.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 pm

The forum is DIY. The stoves at your store are not DIY.

They are cottage industry.

If not well known in the United States, I have been making "cottage industry" well known. Google Search has "cottage industry" listed because so many people in the United States have been inquiring into "cottage industry". :D

It is well known around the world.

ZPacks and Oware is cottage industry. Stormcrow - Hammock Gear is cottage industry.

Gossamer Gear, Mountain Hardwear, Hobie, Choinard Black Diamond Equipment started out as cottage industry.

There are likely many more: Mountain Laurel Designs, AntiGravityGear "Mama's Kitchen".

The fact is, Chris Townsend The Backpacker's Handbook 4th Edition more than mentions "cottage industry".

There is a huge section about cottage industry for backpacker's stoves. However, only the Sierra Stove, Bushbuddy and White Box are mentioned.

Your stoves are better than that!

Chris Townsend goes on about flare ups, spilling fuel, all that. Those are "issues" you have dealt with, successfully.

Your stoves are safer to use, avoiding common misuse mistakes. Your stoves work better.

There are other successful designs, that work well. They should also be listed. Let them deal with that.

But you are selling yourself short. Obviously, that needs to be said. :roll:

It isn't just avid backpacking enthusiasts that need a better backpacking stove. Any backpacker would do well.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

There is a huge section about cottage industry for backpacker's stoves. However, only the Sierra Stove, Bushbuddy and White Box are mentioned.
Nobody has told him about my designs. I'll have to invite him here. ;

Let's ask Hikin_Jim why he doesen't have a review of one of my stoves. Hey Jim, how about it. Why haven't you got one of my stoves on your long list of stoves that you've reviewed?

If he answers it will be the same reason why Chris Townsend doesn't have mine listed. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm

I agree, your stoves should be reviewed.

I think your stoves should be mentioned more in Blogs.

I still think your website store information should be more to the point for casual backpackers.

We are enthusiasts. We go to forums.

I think more backpackers never go to forums.

Most people Google a search term they can think of. Ah, stoves, backpacking stoves, stoves for backpacking.

Right. Ask for reviews. Ask for reviews for each stove.

Trailspace and BackpackGearTest have volunteer reviewers. Any volunteers?