Ultralight Fly Fishing - Tenkara Rod

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

Ultralight Fly Fishing - Tenkara Rod

Postby sudden » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 am

This is a great idea I wish I had though of. Getting weight down for even a short walk is really important for me. I've done plenty of fly fishing on smaller streams where all you can do is flip the fly so the reel and long casts are not needed at all. The only thing I would do differently is rig it so I could play out more line in case I hook a big brown trout.

Video on using the Tenkara.
http://vimeo.com/40367980

This is the companies website
http://www.tenkarausa.com/
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Re: Ultralight Fly Fishing - Tenkara Rod

Postby ConnieD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Pricey. Have you seen GoFastandLight.com?

They have the Pen Fishing Rod
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultraligh ... I-PCOMSTF/
and accessories
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Fishing/products/5/

We discussed another backpackable fishing rod, here, before. I do not recall the brand.

The bushcrafters also disuss their hand fishing outfits.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1863&hilit=flyfishing&start=10
The second half of page two talks about a small flyreel option that will give you about 60-70' total of line..tiny reel,but will store a flyline(1/2 of one) and enough backing to get a good size fish in..when you need it.I think the website that Connie linked to sells the small reel that fits a Coleman pen pole..I keep a set in the top pocket of my pack(along with leader and flies) if I hike by fishable waters("Fishable" to me at the moment means catch and release in national parks..no state license needed.I'm still on strike over what they've done to the local fishing around here.. :evil: ..it's 50% BS. ;)..IMO )
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:44 pm

What haven't they done to the local fishing?

The National Parks are catch-and-release? I thought it was just no liscense fishing.

Do you know what backpacking fishing rod had the short rod tip and double tip option? I forgot the brand name.

This one http://www.jaustinforbes.com/micro.html reminds me of the lovely 3-weight line reel I saw at a Fly Fishing Shop at The Arizona Strip. I enjoy light tackle more than catch-and-release. I even cut the barbs off the hooks.

I just like to be on the river. I also like to see if a fish will bite what I present.

I suppose if I really needed to eat, I would make a fish trap.

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks for all the links. I looked them over but none of them are as simple as the tankara. I already have a very nice sage 4pc 9 1/2ft and could rig that up to mimic the tenkara but the collapsible feature and 12-13ft length of that tenkara give you many more opportunities imo. Compared to my sage that price is a bargain (looking at the $139 yamame since I run into some mean smallmouth bass occasionally).

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Looked like "golightandfast" was sold out of poles.

Realityguy showed us how to fish without a pole:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:22 pm

I guess there is no reason for me to shed tears over my "lost" Orvis split bamboo Superfine rod.

I can just take a salmon from a grizzly bear, now that I see the method.

They are always sold out of the Pen Fishing Rod as soon as they come in. I get a newsletter to give me notice.

I haven't ordered one. I haven't ordered anything. I miss that fly rod. I may never have one as good as that.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 am

In my teen years I was able to catch fish easily with the smallest flys made. I could catch minnow size fish all day long in order to feed myself if need be in a life saving situation.

The small rods are nice but awful expensive.

Let me see if I can find the one my father made and do a photo of it.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am

ConnieD wrote:I guess there is no reason for me to shed tears over my "lost" Orvis split bamboo Superfine rod.

I can just take a salmon from a grizzly bear, now that I see the method.

They are always sold out of the Pen Fishing Rod as soon as they come in. I get a newsletter to give me notice.

I haven't ordered one. I haven't ordered anything. I miss that fly rod. I may never have one as good as that.

It's funny how you get attached to things like fishing poles. Hopefully the person who "found" yours is skilled enough to appreciate it. It took me a while to get skilled enough to appreciate a good fly rod.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:49 am

It is a joy to use. :D I got full pan-size rainbow and cut-throat trout on mine, often 8-9 inches and up to 10-11 inches.

The thing about an excellent fishing rod is it ruins you for other fishing rods and backpacking rods I have held in the store.

I think it is like anything else well-made, it is difficult to go back. More than that, something happens.

It is not the money spent, so, well, it has to be better. I have had disappointing purchases that involved more money.

No, it is not that.

There is something so delightful about anything well-made and so many fishermen extoll their Tenkara fishing rod, it makes me think it must be well-made.

However, I have to hold the rod in my hand and see and feel it flex to make a selection.

For a fact, "losing" my Orvis Superfine to a thief somehow took the joy out of fishing for me.

I still think about the salmon running just off the pier in the tide rip at the U.S. Coast Guard Station at the Presidio of San Francisco and think about a 10-12 foot salt water fishing rod to cast to the tide rip. I think about my nephew drift boat steelhead fishing.

I can't look at a river or stream without knowing where there must be a fish. There are rivers and streams that just smell like fish are there, for me. But I don't fish them anymore.

I think it is because I was started with fly-fishing by my dad and at one point in my life I read a delightful book about fishing fine tackle and running along the bank to tire the fish while not snapping your tippet.

Other fly fishermen may be able to name that book.

There are many well-made fishing rods. I think many fishermen know the delight of the fishing rod I am talking about.

Return to “General”