recent discovery... :)

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Post Reply
steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

recent discovery... :)

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:14 pm

I went and impulse bought a 10.00 dollar swiss volcano stove over at my local surplus store this morning.
Image

Took it home, snapped this pic, filled the water bottle with water and used my trusty Monster energy drink can stove.. Discovered why they are called "Volcano" stoves.. :( Made a huge mess. I should have known better. Steam engines do the same thing when your running with too much water in the boiler. Ironically its also called "Volcano-ing the stack"

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:52 pm

It's amazing how the chimney effect speeds up a fire/boil in the Swiss volcano pot support.

Does a train firebox have natural draft going through the pipes when you first light it up?

$10.00 bucks is a good deal for the equipment you get with the stove. Nice impulse purchase :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:12 pm

zelph wrote:It's amazing how the chimney effect speeds up a fire/boil in the Swiss volcano pot support.

Does a train firebox have natural draft going through the pipes when you first light it up?

$10.00 bucks is a good deal for the equipment you get with the stove. Nice impulse purchase :D
I'm not very impressed with it really. My ghillie kettle, wildstove, and the "coffee tin special" does better. I'm going to be "modifying" the stove part of it to work alittle better seeing as just over the last 30 minutes or so Ive been cruising Youtube for other peoples experience with it, and found that it makes a ton of smoke because of the lack of air intake. Ill post my mods here later on. As for draft in the smoke box.. Nothing really happens in that respect until you have enough steam pressure to open up the blower, which will make a slight vacuum in the smoke box.. suckign the fire through the tubes.

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5278
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Steamjam, you have a good surplus store. Our local Army Surplus never carry foreign product :x I used an alcohol burner in mine and it worked well. Stumpjumper uses his as a wood burner :o and oops56 has set his up with a Borde Bomb for the ultimate companion ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Steamjam, you have a good surplus store. Our local Army Surplus never carry foreign product :x I used an alcohol burner in mine and it worked well. Stumpjumper uses his as a wood burner :o and oops56 has set his up with a Borde Bomb for the ultimate companion ;)
Coolio. I'm also swapping out the water bottle with one that doesn't use a cork.. What sort a alcohol stove did you use? open top, trangia?

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by steamjam » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Goofing off at work again

Image

Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by zelph » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I like the flames, call me "moth" :mrgreen:

What happens to the flames when you put the volcano cup onto the pot support?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by steamjam » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 am

zelph wrote:I like the flames, call me "moth" :mrgreen:

What happens to the flames when you put the volcano cup onto the pot support?
It doesn't do anything different then having the water bottle in it. The flames start to peek out of the vent holes at the top of the stove stand. I should have taken a pic of that.

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Ok, so the burner/stove does not over heat and become radical due to radiant heat inside while waiting for 2 cups of water to boil?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: recent discovery... :)

Post by steamjam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:13 am

zelph wrote:Ok, so the burner/stove does not over heat and become radical due to radiant heat inside while waiting for 2 cups of water to boil?
I liken it to more a runnaway fire that feeds off it's own heat and becomes hard if not impossible to control. Like an andomeda effect

Post Reply