Cheap Chinese rip off stove

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
steamjam

Cheap Chinese rip off stove

Post by steamjam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am

I wondered into the surplus store again while I was running errands. And out of pure curiosity, and the $9.99 price, I bought an Alocs alcohol stove, which is a near exact duplicate of the Trangia mini stove.

Your not going to be surprised here. It's not very well made. The outer wall is made out of very thin sheet and I was able to put a small dent in it with my thumbnail without much pressure. The inner wall is loose and out of round. The simmer ring it comes with doesn't fit the lid well when you store it. Most annoyingly of all, the lid itself "skips" a thread when you try and twist it onto the stove because its slightly too big. How can a place like China get so powerful and rich by building junk? I love how it says "Proudly made in China" on the packaging...

HOWEVER when I fueled it and lit it, the stove bloomed faster then the Trangia by far, and didn't use as much fuel (Not by much here) then the Trangia to boil 2 cups of water. It is also lighter then the Trangia. I attribute that too the thinner gauge sheet used to construct it, which also accounts for the shorter bloom time.

When I can find my Iphone, Ill take pic of it with and without the Trangia (Esbit too I think) next to it.. :)

realityguy

Re: Cheap Chinese rip off stove

Post by realityguy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:32 pm

How can a place like China get so powerful and rich by building junk? I love how it says "Proudly made in China" on the packaging...
And out of pure curiosity, and the $9.99 price

Hmm.. :roll: ..I think someone answered his own question.. :lol:

I think China is at undercover cold-war</b> with the US and they are doing us in by sending us all their lead and other toxic products in second hand goods and reproductions of quality merchandise that are pure trash.We are our own worst enemy buying that garbage because we can't seem to understand that if it is too good a deal to be true..it probably is..or our curiosity to see if it is takes lead over common sense.. ;) Three burns of the stove and it will probably disintegrate or leak like a sieve... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Totally.. I can't see this thing lasting more then a few uses... and yeah haha. I found my Iphone... Just where I left it.. :) just forgot.. thats all.. :)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks for the review steamjam. I have came close on more than one occasion of picking one of those up on eBay. You saved me a few dollars :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Interesting stove. They will sell a million and then redesign :D sell another million and then again redesign/copy my Super Stove and make many millions :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:30 pm

I borrowed friends Esbit stove and compared the Alocs to it.

They are identical in every detail. The have the same number of jets that are of the same bore size. They weigh the same empty, They are of the same diameter, height, etc etc and the burner opening is also the same diameter. I asked my friend if he still had the packaging to the Esbit, and he did. I took a look at it and indeed it says on the back: "Made in China"

The Alocs is made in China... The Esbit is made in China. Could they be from the same manufacturer? Sure seems like it! The difference really? The Alocs is $9.99. The Esbit is $19.95.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 am

Saving 10.00 for the same item wins my vote every time. :o I'm thrifty ;)

Thanks a bunch for sharing the photo comparisons.

This goes to show you that big name brands use the same suppliers as the lesser knowns and still keep a high price tag on the product.

I would not doubt that the big breakfast cereal manufactures package their products for the big name companies and also for Aldis.

Aldis is a well known little guy that has prices a lot lower than most grocery stores. Great products, lower prices.

Rip-offs/knock-offs are all around us. If you go to ebay and search "alcohol stoves" you'll see stoves being sold that look like my designs and those of Bill Ballowe's WBS White Box Stove, Tinny's Bios, my Cobalt and StarLyte. (my son sells the original ;) ) Someone recently emailed me and asked for my blessings to sell knock-offs of my designs :o Yes, I was surprised and no I don't encourage the practice.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:28 pm

i believe in knocks offs but give credit to the guy that did it first also dont say yours is better just let the buyer be the judge i once got a alcohol said it was better then someone else but suck real bad ok not say much more before i get in hot water :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:19 am

oops56 wrote:i believe in knocks offs but give credit to the guy that did it first also dont say yours is better just let the buyer be the judge i once got a alcohol said it was better then someone else but suck real bad ok not say much more before i get in hot water :lol:
Someone challenged me at a point in time to make a stove better than his. I went ahead and made the Cobalt. ;)