JesterJosev goes camping

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
JesterJosev

JesterJosev goes camping

Post by JesterJosev » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 am

The Jester tackles the Garibaldi lake hike again. Last year about this time I hiked with a few friends up to Garibaldi Lake for a night. It was a soggy, heavy, cold, and motivating experience, if you would like to get the just of it feel free to follow this link (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5187) where I describe the situation in depth. What I have learnt and experienced over the last year has helped me to have a great vacation this year, with good friends, resulting in good memories (Connie the Whisky Jacks/Gray Jays say hello again).
Anyways over the last year my interest in outdoorsman ship has changed me in ways that I wouldn’t have believed. I have been over weight for the past decade, and now I’ve brought down my weight down by (maybe) 20 pounds. I have no intention of stopping until I’m in prime condition. I try to swim around a kilometer every other day at the local pool and, do try to do the Grouse Grind once a week (http://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind), I have plenty of Provincial parks locally where I can retreat to during the weekends, to maintain my outdoor skills.
My perspective has changed from seeing the outdoors as a challenge to be met, to recognizing the natural and manmade systems that have to be addressed in order to mesh with the wilderness. This larger perspective has helped to maintain my sanity in a world of 8 hour a day jobs, and further integration into the virtual world of cat (cat videos? this is likely a type-o) videos and email. I have seen people center their outdoor experience on popular ideology’s and perspectives such as ultra light, or trying to conform to someone else’s interpretation of embracing the wild. My response is to weigh (pun not intended) the information, and take what I find to be useful, and leave the excess baggage behind (pun intended).

My friends and I planned out this trip weeks in advance. The idea was to drive north from Vancouver BC Canada more than (about) 2 hours into the remote wilderness of Garibaldi Provincial Park to climb Panorama Ridge (and other local hikes). Once we make our way to Rubble Creek parking lot in the park, we will dawn our backs and hit the trail on the first day for about 8km to Taylor meadows about a 900m elevation gain to about 1600m. The next day I would leave my friends at camp to fish (apparently I think this didn't happen) and make friends while I shoot for Panorama Ridge (http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/panorama-ridge/).

My gear list has changed significantly; my sleeping system includes a Thermarest Prolight Plus sleeping pad, a Golite Sleeping quilt 800 fill (without the straps on), fleece upper and bottoms, cotton socks that are reserved only for sleep, and my shelter is the MSR Hubba 1p. This sleep set up is comfortable when it is 0C degrees or less out (I think anyway). My cook kit includes Smokeeater908s Miniheat (I just ordered The Starlyte Stove), GSI minimalist pot, MBD carbon felt wind screen, long titanium spoon, the water is clean up here so I drink from the streams and that’s the way I like it. I take a 1 or 2, 1 liter Nalgen bottles with me. Although this is soon to change to a single 750ml bottle and my Steripen is all I need because streams are very common. My clothes include convertible pants, a synthetic dry fast t-shirt (or some other brand), a light weight rain jacket, synthetic socks, runners/boots, cramp-ons (as of this week), and a rain hat (rain hoods are awful). My camera set up includes a Nikon 7000, 35mm prime, 18-50mm zoom, sb-400 strobe, polarizer filter, and a SLR Gorilla triPod (I think I only brought my Canon S90 and tripod for convenience). Then there is a plethora of smaller other stuff like paracord, peri peri spice powder (I think I left this at home), leatherman and compass (I think I lef the compass at home). Still using the Brio 50L (maybe its 40l, not sure if its the Brio) backpack as it is versatile, tough and fits me well, it’s a bit heavier but it’s a more than fair compromise, eventually I’ll upgrade it to a Cilo pack (perhaps) (http://www.cilogear.com/3030.html) when this one bites the dust. Since I live have a fascination with mountaineering that’s where my gear is going to start to head. I wish that someone would make an alcohol stove that is made to tolerate high altitude and low temperature environments.

So we get to the parking lot (side of the road in fact), pick up our backpacks and start the climb to the 6km junction taking our time, we knew going into this that since it was Labor day that we would be sharing the park with a lot of other visitors and found out quickly that our first pick of Garibaldi Lake campsite was full. Taylor Meadows was also full by a factor of 1/4 (I think the park ranger mentioned something like this number anyway). The Canadian Park Rangers were respectful, and found us a place to stay. First thing I did (perhaps) was get my shelter and sleeping arrangements sorted out. Then it was time to deal with the food, I found a tree (food hang with wire set up) at least 10m high, I tied a stick (and or rocks) to the end of some paracord so I can hang my food up high in the tree away from nosey bears. Back in camp it was getting towards evening so I went down to Garibaldi Lake with my camera in order to take some sunset shots. Later that night in camp we cooked up our dinner and a hot chocolate and called it a night. The sleeping quilt is great, it keeps me warm and allows me to roll around at night un restricted. The next morning I put together my haversack (or maybe earlier) for the climb up to Panorama Ridge, it’s this light weight back pack where I keep a few Clif bars, a liter of water UV pen, first aid kit, camera gear, maps and such (not sure of specifics, but items like that). On the way I took massive amount of pictures and video as it is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. I climbed through the mountains from lush rainforest (perhaps) through alpine environments and over glaciers (I’ll upload some pictures soon)(still have yet to do this). About 4 minutes before reaching the top of the mountain I got spooked! With my runners on I didn’t feel confident about reaching the top and getting back down safe as it was a bit of a scramble (or so said this guy I met on the mountain). I feel annoyed about this and I plan to do more climbing over the course of the year (didn't really get to climbing, but soon!) so I feel confident enough to take on the climb next year. On the way back down I filled up my bottle with some fresh stream water and made it back to camp at about 6 at night. It was really quiet there and so I wandered down to the lake to see if I could find my friends. They were out there taking photos and enjoying the sunset, as it turns out I was the only one who remembered to bring a head lamp so I good thing I wandered down there or it could have been a dicey mile long trail walk in the dark. The next day we relaxed and meandered around in the Meadows not looking forwards to the return to “civilization”. After a little bit of a hike we made our way back to the 6km junction and scooted down the mountain back to the car in good time (http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/88515832).
It was a great little adventure and this time I was well prepped as far as gear, physical aptitude, and information. This was almost entirely due to the people who have helped inform me on forums such this one and other websites, and some diligence regarding my physical health.

I learned a lot of things this trip.
- Bring less water; I’m stopping by streams every few minutes so what the point in hauling water weight? A single 750ml bottle would be better than 2, 1 liter bottles.
- Repackage Mountain House meals, they have twice the amount of food that I would ever eat.
- Bring fewer clothes, as I continue to camp through the seasons I’ll learn what I need and what’s worth bringing.
- Eat smaller meals on the trail through the day (various sources). So I’m going to change my schedule to decent early breakfast, wash up, eat throughout the day and skip lunch, good dinner, warm beverage and then sleep.
- Continue to study the details of where I’m hiking, maps; know the peaks, and the names of places of importance.
- Keep learning about trees, edible plants and what not. How come we know about where useless buildings are but we can’t identify mosses, evergreens, or wild edibles?
- Watch what you do in the woods, people who aren’t very skilled/experienced will watch what you do and follow your example. I used some cord to hang my food and came back to find another 4 (more or less) bags of food on my cord. I don’t mind, I think of it as a compliment.
- Bring some garbage out of the woods with you, even if it’s not your own. Let’s take care of our domain.
- If you know there is going to be ice/snow bring cramp-ons.

I know this is a bit of a longer post but it was a follow up to one of my first posts on this forum, I’ve learnt a lot from the knowledge and experience of this group of folks and hope to contribute to the collective knowledge we are building
-JesterJosev
(There was a little embelisment/lies sorry! Nothing too scary but I would rather be straight up)
Last edited by JesterJosev on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Re: JesterJosev goes camping

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 am

Nice report! Sounds like you have come a pond way since your first adventure. How is the fishing up there? Isn't it amazing how enjoyable your adventure is when you are well informed and prepared for the task at hand. I look forward to seeing your pics.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Good hints for losing the weight you carry,making the trip more enjoyable and the packing less of a strain on the ol' body..People here can think before they go on their own trips.. :roll: ..and learn from your tips..or make notes of their own..
I'm in Washington and understand the water availability in these parts..however this year might be a bit shy on some trails due to the extreme dry times we've had lately.The few hikes we went on this year had adequate water except for one to a peak..nothing in the upper 3/4s of the hike..but we always carry enough.
One thing we always carry on hikes is a small towel that we can wet down in streams on hot days,wrap around your neck over your shoulders,and you'll stay cool throughout the trip on the hottest days.It's amazing how many people sweating to death walking up the mountain as we are going down(we start early to also beat the heat/crowds of the day) see us and remark "What a simple,brilliant idea!Next time we'll be smarter!"... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Ridgerunner: My friend, the fishing is great up in these mountains. There are so many small tarns, lakes, and ponds that the fish are stupid (I think my friend mentioned this). You spin cast a spoon, wedding band, or a spinner in there no bait what so ever and reel fast and the fish will seemingly fight for the steel. If your lucky enough to have a fire beside you, you can gut them put them on a sharp stick and eat fresh trout a few minutes out of the water. Pictures and video are coming because I finally have a new computer that functions.

Realityguy: Yea on a hot day your towel tip on the neck sounds very refreshing. It goes to show how important heat control really is. When I hike I often see people (at least a few of my friends) at the bottom of the mountain with a Gortex rain shell, fleece mid layers, and wicking base layers (not entirely sure about the wicking layers) on all at the same time...in the summer! Of course after about 10 minutes off comes the fleece, and the gortex and they are overheating to the point of seeing the vapour rising off them. I do the reverse, I start with a base layer and as my core starts to heat up I gauge if I'm going to need more layers of clothes. I would go so far as saying that it boils down to "Heat", "Water", and "Heart Rate" regulation while on the trail for me (various sources).

(There was a little embelisment/lies sorry! Nothing too scary but I would rather be straight up)