What are your Go To cook kits?

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
JesterJosev

What are your Go To cook kits?

Post by JesterJosev » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 pm

As a stovie I look forwards to seeing what stove producers come out with next. I have a few methods of backpack cooking that require certain constraints. For instance sometimes I want to push hard and don’t want much weight so I need a really light cook kit. Other times I’ll hike with a friend so I want to make sure I have the ability to produce enough hot water for both of us. I have multiple cook kits now depending on what the situation warrants.
Light Weight Set Up
- S908 energy drink pop can with ring insert
- Titanium spoon
- WGS Starlyte stove
- WGS wind screen
- Bit of cut up sham wow
Long Weekend Trip
- GSI Halulite Minimalist (soon to be replaced with SP900)
- Titanium spoon
- S908 miniheat stove
- MBD cabon felt
- S908 squirrel cage pot stand
Hiking With Friend Set Up
- GSI Ketalist
- Titanium spoon
- SP Gigapower stove
- Two GSI spoons
- The bowl and cup are almost exactly the same size so it facilitates two people easy.
I know there are lighter set ups, and other people might consider this enough gear, but for right now I’m happy. I tend to “hike my own hike”, take what I want from prep and ultralite philosophy and leave the rest.
What are your go to cook kits?

steamjam

Re: What are your Go To cook kits?

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:27 pm

I tend to carry the nothing-special basics:

1. Wildstove wood stove with MSR pot
2. Bundeswehr utensils kit
3. US army stainless steel canteen cup/pot stand/monster can stove/heavy cover lid.
4. Small Chinook stainless steel coffee pot. (Can't live without the stuff...)

When I'm car-camping in my '67 Bug, I'll add a Coleman 533 dual fuel stove, Stainless Swedish Army mess kit, and a 17oz stainless coffee mug. I keep a Swiss Volcano stove in the boot of the bug.

The above items work pretty well in any combination. I can use the canteen cup on the wildstove, or the MSR pot on the Canteen stand with my monster can stove. The army mess kit is tricky to balance on the canteen stove, but works best with the Coleman 533. The coffee pot works on all the stoves. (thank god!!) The Swiss Volcano Stove is not much use for anything other then emergency water boiling, so I keep it stuffed in the boot behind the bug's spare tire.
Last edited by steamjam on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I just recently switched to a Starlyte burner that holds 1.5oz of fuel and a stainless steel windscreen that has integrated pot supports welded to the inner wall. The screen also has centering guides for the Foster's full size flat bottom can. The centering guides keep the windscreen equal distance all around the pot. Windscreen folds to fit inside pot. So the windscreen is the pot support also.

I use a borrowed long handle plastic spoon. I really don't know why they ever made forks and knives :lol: A spoon and fingers is all that is needed. ;)

When larger meals are anticipated I use a Kmart grease pot and a Fancee Feest stove. Holds 4 cups of water.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:32 pm

zelph wrote:I just recently switched to a Starlyte burner that holds 1.5oz of fuel and a stainless steel windscreen that has integrated pot supports welded to the inner wall. The screen also has centering guides for the Foster's full size flat bottom can. The centering guides keep the windscreen equal distance all around the pot. Windscreen folds to fit inside pot. So the windscreen is the pot support also.

I use a borrowed long handle plastic spoon. I really don't know why they ever made forks and knives :lol: A spoon and fingers is all that is needed. ;)

When larger meals are anticipated I use a Kmart grease pot and a Fancee Feest stove. Holds 4 cups of water.
Yeah. When it's just myself and I.. I'll carry just the Stainless canteen cup set up with bundeswehr utensils.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm

zelph wrote:
When I'm car-camping in my '67 Bug
I'm green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There is nothing like green-laning around the country side in a 45 year old air-cooled relic of German engineering.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Every time I see one I wish I had my own. That and a 65 Corvair.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:45 pm

zelph wrote:Every time I see one I wish I had my own. That and a 65 Corvair.
My first car was a '60 Corvair 700 4 door.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 pm

zelph wrote:Now I'm green enough to die :lol:
You drive good stuff :mrgreen:
If I can *EVER* find a way to register and insure one in the USA... especially california... I'll import myself a Tatra 603!!! Air Cooled rear mounted V8 SEXINESS!!!!

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am

zelph wrote:Looks like it's burning oil. Is it deisel? Whoa, look at that rear air scoop. Big air scoop for the V8. It probably has a blower concealed in there somewhere :mrgreen:

I'll google it to read more. Never heard of them :o

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I created a thread for car stuff. Sorry for taking this off on a car thing aka thread drift....my bad :oops:

continued in the "Just for the fun of it " forum.

viewtopic.php?f=50&p=45905#p45905