Another discovery.. :)

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
steamjam

Another discovery.. :)

Post by steamjam » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:20 pm

I was shopping over at the local Indian grocery market (YUMM!! CURRY!!!) when I ran into tiffin boxes!

I didn't think these were sold here in the USA. Anyways, these are made out of stainless steel, and cost about 15 bux. I'm a gonna try and use it in my hiking kit.. :) More posts on this "experiment" later!

zelph

Re: Another discovery.. :)

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Looks like good quality....I like!

What is the diameter and height?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 am

I like that setup. Might have to get it for the camper.

Was it in a big name grocery store? Name?

I'll search the internet. $15 is not a bad price.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Check your local Chinese/Japanese/Asian grocery stores for similar sets..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Yes, your local ethnic stores have the least expensive price.

I was in Bed, bath and beyond this evening and saw a nice stainless steel pot. It was about 6" diameter by 11-12" tall. It had a 1/2" mesh basket inside it as if it was meant for seafood or something. It was stout looking and I think it was made in germany It was pricy...$20.00 maybe another day :P

I've made a big switch over in my car camping cooking stove equiment. I now use Origo alcohol stoves. I have one burner and a two burner. I also have two spare fuel burners for them. They hold 1 quart each of HEET or denatured. We buy HEET by the case in the spring when it's under a buck a bottle. Gone are the days of the Coleman white gas and propane 2 burner stoves. I bought the Origo stoves on ebay for cheap. I watched closely for the good scratch and dent sales :P

Steamjam, a while back you said you were going to make a stove out of a steam whistle... where is it, still on the locomotive? :P

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 pm

zelph wrote:Yes, your local ethnic stores have the least expensive price.

I was in Bed, bath and beyond this evening and saw a nice stainless steel pot. It was about 6" diameter by 11-12" tall. It had a 1/2" mesh basket inside it as if it was meant for seafood or something. I was stout looking and I think it was made in germany It was pricy...$20.00 maybe another day :P

I've made a big switch over in my car camping cooking stove equiment. I now use Origo alcohol stoves. I have one burner and a two burner. I also have two spare fuel burners for them. They hold 1 quart each of HEET or denatured. We buy HEET by the case in the spring when it's under a buck a bottle. Gone are the days of the Coleman white gas and propane 2 burner stoves. I bought the Origo stoves on ebay for cheap. I watched closely for the good scratch and dent sales :P

Steamjam, a while back you said you were going to make a stove out of a steam whistle... where is it, still on the locomotive? :P
The tiffin box is 117mm wide, bottom pot is 64mm tall, and the top pot is 50mm tall. It was the small sized one on the shelf. There was a large one thats 150mm wide but it was $22 so I opted for the small one. I'm trying to figure a folding pot stand that can be stored away in the bottom half of the tiffin box along with either my Trangia or my crap-ola Alocs stove. More on that later when I can have a chance to raid the roundhouse scrap metal bin and have some time with the mill.

When it comes to car camping, one doesn't really go "car camping" in Volkswagen Beetles. Although they are rare now, there are kits out there that modify the front low back seats to fold flat into a "bed" so that you can sleep in your bug. I spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on an NOS kit a few years back thinking that I can have me own R.V,.. (Recreational Volkswagen) BUT because I am taller and much fatter then your average Italian race horse jockey.... I lasted about 45 seconds on the first night out trying to laydown in my bug for some sleep before I abandoned it and pitched tent. Biggest waste of money ever!@

I really like the Coleman 533. I also have an Optimus 8R but prefer the 533 due to its dual fuel capability and availability of parts should it break while I'm out and about. I also don't use the Coleman fuel unless I haveto. I run my 533 on plain ol' naptha. Works fine. Doesn't clog anything, just takes a few seconds longer to get to full heat. I've run the 533 on high-test unleaded and it works "ok"... (smells funky, and leaves soot...) Workable if I get myself into an absolute S.O.L. predicament.. I can grab some gas out the tank of my bug and make some hot water etc etc if I really really had too.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Oh BTW... Yeah, been thinking about steam whistle alcohol stoves... Haven't had a chance to make it back out to the yard to grab the whistle off the steam donkey to try it out. Seems interesting. Ive been playing around with a "copper coil" alcohol stove, and have been seriously thinking about an alcohol powered "instant water boiler" based on water tube boilers you commonly see in modern coffee/espresso machines.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:40 pm

I have gone the way of "easy" I like easy stoves. No pumps, no finicky fuel problems at below freezing temps. alcohol works for me and wood is my goto. Call me lazy, but not "late for dinner"

whooa, what I wouldn't give to take a stroll through a train scrap yard. I imagine it to be an outdoor "man cave" :lol: Oh! hey there's a whistle over there, let's make a stove out of it :DBfire: or hey is that an oiler cup, lets make a remote fuel stove :mrgreen: Oh my, is that a 'cow chaser" it would make a great campfire grill :P Gee the entire locamotive is a volcano stove, just put a pot support on the smoke stack and good to go. The steam vents can be tapped to steam shell fish "on demand"

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:11 pm

zelph wrote:I have gone the way of "easy" I like easy stoves. No pumps, no finicky fuel problems at below freezing temps. alcohol works for me and wood is my goto. Call me lazy, but not "late for dinner"

whooa, what I wouldn't give to take a stroll through a train scrap yard. I imagine it to be an outdoor "man cave" :lol: Oh! hey there's a whistle over there, let's make a stove out of it :DBfire: or hey is that an oiler cup, lets make a remote fuel stove :mrgreen: Oh my, is that a 'cow chaser" it would make a great campfire grill :P Gee the entire locamotive is a volcano stove, just put a pot support on the smoke stack and good to go. The steam vents can be tapped to steam shell fish "on demand"
Yeah I haven't noticed any problems yet concerning cold weather. I think the coldest I've been out with the 533 is 36 degrees. Someone once told me that naptha and Coleman fuel starts to gel at water freezing point. Don't know if thats true... Guess only one way to find out... :I

haha. Its more like "Hey... There's that old tool cart over there... Hey! Isn't that an old hit/miss engine??? hmmm I found a bicycle chain.. Lets make a locomotive!" haha we call em "Cow Plows" here! And I'll post a video over the winter on how to make "Boiler Broiler chicken".