Bear Bell

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
JesterJosev

Bear Bell

Post by JesterJosev » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 am

Bear bells are intolerable in my opinion. The constant clanging of the bear bell I find to be annoying and distracting. Now don’t get me wrong, I understand the function and can see the benefit of having one if you’re the quiet types in the wilderness. The thing is although I don’t often talk to myself in the woods, I’m not quiet. I’m such a nerd that I like to ponder most anything that I might encounter out in the woods. While I’m out there I’m thinking about things such as “find flat ground, and running water” along with “I should take a picture of this plant so I can identify it when I get back to my botany books.” I like to go out there alone. See I learn more when I go on my own. I may find a spot with a good view of the area I’m heading, with no one to get angry because I took a few minutes to study the land I’ll become at home and familiar with the country. I mean really look at the terrain, see its character. The land will tell you about itself if you’re so inclined to pay attention. You may ask it “why did you set up a lake over there?” and after a little study it’ll reply “well you’ve see how my mountains jut up sharp here, it’s really easy to collect water in these valleys. Also look at the rock face, a glacier used this area as a path at some point. Water has been coming down here for a long time, no wonder there’s a lake here.” At other times I’ll listen to myself, if I’m going strong up a steep mountain my heart rate will tell me if I can go faster or slower. I’ve learnt to listen and rely upon my own rhythm to determine my energy, and not how “energetic” I feel. If I go based upon how energetic I feel, I’ll be tired in no time. If I listen to my heart rate and just ride the rhythm I’ll be efficient, fast, and happy. So I’m happy with leaving the bear bell at home most of the time. I recently picked one up at my local outdoor outfitters. They had the normal bell for $1.75, and the bell with the magnet that stops the ball bearing from rattling in the bell for $2.75. I had to wonder to myself, why would a small magnet be worth more than a third of the price? I figure that it may be important to have a bell, but it’s also important to be able to shut the bell up! Needless to say I bought the bell with the magnet.

zelph

Re: Bear Bell

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Incorporate the "bell" into your conversations. Talk to the bears, tell them about the new bell you just purchased and ask if they would like to hear how nice it sounds. Give it a jingle or two. Ask the mountains and lakes if they have seen any bears or if they have ever heard the crisp tones of the "Bear Bell"

If a bear responds to your question, start rattling it vigorously while you shimmy up the nearest tree. Once up in the tree remove your 44 magnum from it's holster and shake that a few times at the bear. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 pm

I always take trek poles and just poke big rocks with the metal tips..KLIK!(like that of that magnum ;) ).When I hear bear bells in the woods, I expect Sandy Claws and his reindeer to be coming around the corner..or someone dressed up with a Joker/Jester suit and pointy hat with bells.It's usually some idiot texting on his iphone that doesn't want to run headlong into one..hoping the bear hears him coming.. before smacking the animal right on the rear because of his inattention.Yeah..they seem to drive with bearbells on also around here..Duh... :roll:
I wish they would suspend licenses for that(the texting/ road part) instead of just issuing worthless tickets to the ignorant marroons.That would probably clear half the cars off the road around here.Rant over..back on topic.
I see lots of bear bells in the thrift stores as recent as even last week.I pass on all of them.One bell is enough..most sets seem to have 4 or so bells which seems overkill.If I was to use one,I'd probably mount it to a trek pole by the handgrip.In open areas you could grab the thing and silence it but have it handy to ward off demons in bear grass when you wanted it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:38 pm

See that’s just it Zelph, to some extent it would appear that the bear bell is a psychological crutch. When I think about it a bear is an extraordinary animal, it has an amazing sense of smell and from what I can understand they can hear very well as well (think bear bangers). Even when I’m not talking while hiking I’m making one stupid racket. I will kick around rocks with my hiking boots, and sweep the overgrowth aside with my backpack. How on earth could a human, much less a bear not know that I’m around? If a bear bell is required part of me thinks that its less to make bears aware of our presence, and more to distract ourselves from a perpetuated irrational fear that bears are always eager to attack humans. That being said I’ll make sure to tell the mountains and the eagles that I had an internet conversation with Zelph about the bear bells and have left it at home. If the eagle craps on my tent I’ll know that the message has been received. I’m also curious about bear party hats, I think a colorful party hat could potentially vibrant and jolly enough to scare the bear away. By conversation I mean “to think” about the environment. Although I have had some pretty good abet one sided conversations with trees. Who knows maybe they are able to hear me, but I have personal doubts about the plastic plants at my office.

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Reality guy, yea the hiking poles are a great idea. I suggest that rangers put bear bells on all the bears soon after they are born (I shudder). That way in the middle of the night if you hear ol' bruin a mile away we can discharge our Magnum 44's (perferably outside of the tent) to scare them away. I don't know how they are going to sneak up on prey with the bear bells on though, maybe they'll just have to adapt to eating humans who are distracted by their iphones.
Last edited by JesterJosev on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Hanging a bell off of the pole with a leather strap is sufficient and quickly quieted,strap under your palm..if one feels they needed it quiet..or ringing..
Around here fat people have been shot bending over to tie their shoes wearing fur coats in hunting seasons..therefore..THOSE people should be wearing the (non)bear bells("Nope!Not a bear..just an idiot with a fur coat on!").I think the hunters out there are more of a reason for wearing bearbells around here than bear fear...during that season.
Smell factor probably doesn't work if you are downwind.. ;) ..so always hike upwind of bears..Wait until the wind blows the other direction(say 3 days?) before hiking back to your camp..Okay... :roll:
Thrashing noise through bushes..hmm..What if you run across another bear looking for an "encounter"..they may think you are another bear stealing his blueberries. I think a more "nonbear" noise might be more appropriate.
The clicking of trek poles sounds more human..but not enough to be offensive to other humans as much as bells.Clicking them together around tight corners along a trail....and cleans mud off your poles.
Maybe a windchime..or set of temple bells and chanting would be more appropriate... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:30 pm

I will wear enough bells to scare any and all bears away. When I walk into an area where others are camped they will see that I came prepared and will laugh and laugh the night away which will also keep the bears away. :mrgreen:

I will pattern my gear after the items in the photos 8-)

but it’s also important to be able to shut the bell up!
Sometimes when I get into a discussion with my wife I find it necessary to tell myself to "shut the bell up! ;) :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/