I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
steamjam

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Postby steamjam » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm

The Stanley pot is working out pretty well with that old Russian 8R clone I use nearly on a daily basis. Its of comparable quality as anything MSR builds but at 1/2 the cost, and thus far I've made many a meal with that pot. It hasn't replaced my Coleman Peak 1 pot yet, but I imagine it will soon. My 8" cast iron frying pan also works great with that old stove. Its just enough of a cast iron pan to make breakfast in the morning along with my coffee machine.. :-D The Stanley cup is alot less useful. I can't use it with the Clone 8R, and its kinda useless as anything other then a large coffee cup... I kinda ditched it in favor of a standard good 'ol stainless steel 17oz coffee mug.

The Bundeswehr utensils kit? Best thing old West Germany ever came out with!

I can't get myself to part with the stainless steel Swedish mess kits! They are built SO well and are so useful I cant get myself to have less then two of them! I keep one in my van at all times! I bought and tried the aluminium version, and was less then impressed with the overall quality and sold just as soon as I finished testing it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Military kits are made to last forever :D

Great choice on your cast iron skillet, my favorite for fried eggs....eggs. love the eggs. I've been poaching for the last month or two with my new found way to make them in my Imusa 10cm mug. Sweet set-up. :)

I have 2 utensils, both are stainless steel table spoons :o One has a sharpened edge that's used as a knife. Forks are obsolete :lol:

Military P38's are my goto can openers ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Just me making some ramen for myself.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Fits the stove nicely. I like Ramen chicken is my favorite using 1/2 packet seasoning. A few months ago I saw on one of the tv cooking shows the history of Ramen noodles, totally interesting. It may have been "cooking with Ming"

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Coffee can stove #2 fell apart. 5 months after I built it and used it every night.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:32 am

That's good service..... :D

Now's the time to make a few more with stainless steel Ikea utensil holders :D

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:58 pm

I already tried one. I wasn't too impressed with its performance. Too much smoke and not alot of heat. I use my Ikea stove as a pen/pencil/crescent wrench holder on my desk.. :-D

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Just for the heck of it, I went and ordered a $20.00 Chinese built copy of the Wildstove wood burner. I have low expectations but if the thing lasts me more then 6 months of daily use I'll be happy. I do own a real Wildstove and I'm curious to see if these things are any good compared to the original.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:32 am

Just the other day I saw that Chinese one on ebay and was amazed at the price. I think I'll order one also to see the quality of it. After inspection I'll pass it on to someone that is interested in wood burning :D

Recently I ordered a "Clickstand" because I got an email from someone saying the use of it in conjunction with a StarLyte burner is comparable to the Caldera Cone efficiency.

I can see why your Ikea didn't work very well :o

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 am

Other than the multiple pieces, I think you will like the clikstand. With all your shim stock laying around, I'm surprised you didn't fabricate your own. They work great with the Svea alcohol burner also ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “General”