I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
oops56

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Post by oops56 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:22 pm

any one lives close by i trade a borde bombe new never been fired up for a mini riding lawn mower my legs gone cant do a push one to long dam old age
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 14, 2013 12:11 am

oops56 wrote:any one lives close by i trade a borde bombe new never been fired up for a mini riding lawn mower my legs gone cant do a push one to long dam old age
You did hear me :lol:

What happened to your leg, wife kick you too many times :o :mrgreen:

Get a couple of goats tethered to long leashes. They will keep it mowed for you plus give you some milk. At the end of the mowing season sell them off to some young 4H'ers for their winter projects.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 pm

I would do that trade but for the gas to get it to you, I may as well buy one on ebay :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue May 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Oops, check your yard sales and Craigslist in the area. We just bought an 18hp one that works great for under $200 and a 14 hp one for free :DP: Look for a mower like you are search for rare stoves and you will find one. Sorry to hear about your leg and yes, getting old sucks!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue May 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Robert, you are killing me. By you trading off the Borde Bomb, does that mean that I'm being cut out of your will? :o ... :cry: .... :lol:

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am

zelph wrote:Yeah, that's interesting. That a lot of pot for the flames to transfer heat to. Maybe that's why the water heated up so fast. Connie always had good luck with a bowl shaped pot for heating water. Your pot has a slight taper and the bottom looks a little distorted. what's going on with the bottom of the pot, anything irregular about it?
There is nothing odd about the pot bottom. Here is a better pic of the mess kit pot:

Here is the Helikon stainless version:

Just for the heck of it, over the weekend I am going to repeat the test I did with the Czech mess kit. This time with a square french aluminum mess kit to see if shape makes a difference....

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 pm

steamjam wrote:
There is nothing odd about the pot bottom. Here is a better pic of the mess kit pot:

Just for the heck of it, over the weekend I am going to repeat the test I did with the Czech mess kit. This time with a square french aluminum mess kit to see if shape makes a difference....
Whatchu mean nothing od about it. That's not your run-o-the-mill pot bottom.

You're accumulating quite a collection of cooking utensils....nice. Square pot is more space efficient, I like it. :) Easier to have 3 fish/frogs side by side in it.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 pm

zelph wrote:
steamjam wrote: Whatchu mean nothing od about it. That's not your run-o-the-mill pot bottom.
You're accumulating quite a collection of cooking utensils....nice. Square pot is more space efficient, I like it. :) Easier to have 3 fish/frogs side by side in it.
It was a trade off.. :) I sold off all the stoves cept for three. The Coleman 440, the clone 8R, and the Primus 210. (The 210 has the "cool-factor" I cant resist..) I figure since I've decided what stoves I like the best, I might-as-well test out mess kits and pick out the one(s) i like the best and sell the rest off. So far the top three contenders are the French kit, the Swedish mess kit, and the Helikon. The latter two being stainless.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Well how you going to do testing now that you're back on the rails? Auto pilot? No more being "bored" :o :mrgreen:

It'll be interesting to see what pot you chose.

Next week I should be able to take some pics of the stove stuff that I accumulated over the years. :roll: Yousa guys are going to laugh and shake your heads and ask how could it be possible. You've all seen on tv the houses of hoarders............well I've been hoarding :lol: I have a goal to have all stuff sorted by the end of next week.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am

So this morning I tested the French mess kit and the water bottle stove.

Boil time from 48 degrees to 212 was 5 minutes, 27 seconds. Still not bad. I suppose I should test the Swedish mess kit next with its stove just for comparison.