I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Post by zelph » Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Not bad at all.......it's putting out some serious heat and the pot is suckin it in. I like that one. I'll keep one eye open on ebay for one. I wanna make an "Impossible Pie" in it. Going to ebay right now to check :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:40 pm

i got one of them cook kit its made by trangia model 210 its a small lone there is a big one also
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 pm

I checked ebay and ther are 2 listings. Hmmmm, I'll look again tomorrow.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat May 25, 2013 10:21 am

oops56 wrote:i got one of them cook kit its made by trangia model 210 its a small lone there is a big one also
The french mess kit is on the left. Trangia 210 on the right. The French mess kit is much sturdier then the Trangia by far, and can take much more abuse. However the Trangia is lighter.

And this is what makes this mess kit such a strong contender: I can store a mojo pot stand, a retail Trangia stove, and a fuel bottle all into the inner pot and it all fits together like they were designed to to so. They fit together so well, once you close everything up nothing rattles, or bumps around. Perfect fit.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Nice photos of both, thanks :D

What kind of treatment can you give to the handles of the French to cool them off like the Trangia?.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun May 26, 2013 3:03 pm

zelph wrote:Nice photos of both, thanks :D
What kind of treatment can you give to the handles of the French to cool them off like the Trangia?.
The French kit's handle gets warm, but it hasn't gotten so hot during use I cant touch it yet.I have found that the thicker the aluminum pot walls are, the cooler the handles are when in use. My Czech round mess kit is pretty robust and exhibits the same behavior. I have a *cheap* Chinese made thin wall "czech mess kit" replica and I have to wear gloves when I use it or I'll get burned. My cheap-o thin wall aluminum canteen cup handle becomes too hot to touch within seconds of being put on the stove. Its the same for the Trangia 210. Its made out of very thin aluminum. The rubberizing on the handle starts to sizzle and melt when trying to boil water.

Which brings me to my #1 complaint about the Swedish mess kit. You had better use the stick rings on the pan handle or your hand will get scorched.. :( Learned that the hard way!.. :(

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu May 30, 2013 11:24 am

I decided to test out my well used and ever reliable G.I. canteen cup. I use it with a monster energy drink can stove instead of a retail trangia because its much smaller and fits just right in the aluminum stove stand. I also have the 1943 stainless version with the "swing away" handle, but I prefer these newer ones because the butterfly handle stays so much cooler when in use, as well as being a bit sturdier.

6 minutes 58 seconds.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm

The BCB lid is heavy :mrgreen: but is good in a pinch.

I forgot to include a few military pots :oops:
Attachments
whirlwind of pots.jpg

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 pm

zelph wrote:The BCB lid is heavy :mrgreen: but is good in a pinch.
Yeah. The Heavy Cover lid isn't really all that useful. The bean shape of the canteen really limit the kinds of stoves i can use with it without doing modifications.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu May 30, 2013 7:30 pm

I would think that most of your beer can type stoves would work. Zelph makes a nylon type lid for the odd shaped military cups. I'm not sure of the weight savings ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !