I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Post by zelph » Thu May 30, 2013 10:48 pm

steamjam wrote:
zelph wrote:The BCB lid is heavy :mrgreen: but is good in a pinch.
Yeah. The Heavy Cover lid isn't really all that useful. The bean shape of the canteen really limit the kinds of stoves i can use with it without doing modifications.
I can make a bean shaped stove to match the curvature of the cup.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:52 am

It was the battle of the squares in my office this morning. I tested the Trangia 210 against the BCB stainless mess tin with the Clone 8R.

8 minutes 46 seconds

7 minutes 24 seconds

I like the BCB alot more because its stainless steel, the handle locks when unfolded which is a nice feature, and it stays cooler then the Trangia's. I also like the slide out handle on the lid of the BCB so that it can be used as a small frying pan. I'd say overall the BCB is built better and more robustly then the Trangia.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Then there is the weight factor to consider if backpacking ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am

The Smel-1 with the Coleman pot.

Full of Coleman fuel, it boils 2 cups of water starting at 48 degrees to 212 in 5 minutes 16 seconds. I'm going to try regular unleaded next... But in my garage, not my office. I learnt that lesson the last time!

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm going to try regular unleaded next... But in my garage, not my office. I learnt that lesson the last time!
Maybe that's why they put you back on the rails.....stunk up the office :lol: (with smelly fuel) ;)

Does it roar or purr? Flames look nice.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:50 pm

zelph wrote:Maybe that's why they put you back on the rails.....stunk up the office :lol: (with smelly fuel) ;) Does it roar or purr? Flames look nice.
Its actually a very quiet stove. It sounds alot more like a small propane stove as it just barely whispers. I love how easy this stove is to keep up. I had to repair the pressure pump when I first got it. I used an old spring from a ball point pen, and a Honda generator carburetor O-ring and it works perfect.. :-D

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:25 pm

that windscreen doesn't look like it's covering much of the flame. what do you think? Maybe it's more of a flame concentrator to make it go upward, what do you think?

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 pm

zelph wrote: that windscreen doesn't look like it's covering much of the flame. what do you think? Maybe it's more of a flame concentrator to make it go upward, what do you think?

Its not a windscreen for the stove burner. Its more a windscreen for the primer flame when you start it. I've used the stove in the wind without it.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:28 am

Stoves that need to be primed..... :roll: lots of little alcohol stoves out there that are like that :D not mine though :mrgreen:

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:26 pm

My buddies came over a few weeks ago and we started drinking beer while welding up the roof of my van. Somehow I got a hold of my laptop and I don't really remember ordering it on Ebay.... But the UPS man delivered this today:

Its a Motor Sich PT-2... The things rock solid and weighs a ton.... A buddy who was there when I ordered it just called me. The UPS man delivered the leopard print G-string underwear with built in manhood enhancer and blue-berry stratch-n-sniff edible Y front tightie-whities he ordered that same night...

Beer.. man's greatest, yet most dangerous invention.