I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
steamjam

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Post by steamjam » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:35 pm

I bought it for parts but I think I can get it to work.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:08 pm

what parts can you use and on what other stove? I don't remember seeing this stove before :?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

zelph wrote:what parts can you use and on what other stove? I don't remember seeing this stove before :?
I needed an inner burner cap for my shmel-1 stove. I couldn't find the part by itself so I went and bought a cheap clunker Shmel-2 for parts.

Inner burn cap on the left:

All of the Shmel series stoves use the same burner. So it was just a matter of time before I found a clunker to use as parts. I just took the inner burn cap, soaked it in water and vinegar for 15 minutes, wiped the rust off, and installed it into the 1. At this point I have the 1,2, and the 4. I should just complete the collection and get a 3. The 3 is a twin burner version of the 2.

But I had to experiment alittle. I took the 2, cleaned it up, and used a Steel Ford freeze plug which I drilled a 1/2 hole in the middle, and tried to run the stove on hardware store naphtha. It worked... kinda....

Its a good thing eyebrows grow back.. :-D

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They grow back kinda slow :mrgreen:

Innovation.....using a freeze plug :D What is the function of the inner burn cap?

Interesting to see how some folks like certain style/brands of stoves. Me, I like the quiet marine alcohol stoves. Oops56 and ridgerunner like the roaring kind :o

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 am

zelph wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

They grow back kinda slow :mrgreen:

Innovation.....using a freeze plug :D What is the function of the inner burn cap?

Interesting to see how some folks like certain style/brands of stoves. Me, I like the quiet marine alcohol stoves. Oops56 and ridgerunner like the roaring kind :o
Here is how it works: Fuel goes up through the center hole in the inner cap, over, and down the sides, and out the burner holes on the outer cap.

Yeah I really like the old petrol-gas stoves. They are easy to use, easy to fix with hardware store parts, and have the old-world-built-like-a-tank charm. :-D

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am

Hmmmm! cool way to vaporize fuel. Someone here on bplite had the idea to drip kerosene/olive oil onto a dome, think brass doorknob to create a stove of sorts. I think it was a remote feed type fuel system also. I'll search doorknob and see if it comes up.

Yes, you sure do have a nice collection of sturdy stoves. They are made to last a loooooong time. :D

Was the freeze plug long enough on it's sides to serve the purpose? a grease cap cover for wheel axles might work well for future needs or maybe a
doorknob :mrgreen:

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:16 pm

zelph wrote:Hmmmm! cool way to vaporize fuel. Someone here on bplite had the idea to drip kerosene/olive oil onto a dome, think brass doorknob to create a stove of sorts. I think it was a remote feed type fuel system also. I'll search doorknob and see if it comes up.

Yes, you sure do have a nice collection of sturdy stoves. They are made to last a loooooong time. :D

Was the freeze plug long enough on it's sides to serve the purpose? a grease cap cover for wheel axles might work well for future needs or maybe a
doorknob :mrgreen:
No the Ford freeze plug was an epic fail. It wasn't tall enough and didn't seal to the outer burn cap. It made for quite a fireball when I lit it.. I shant do that again, good sirs!

A hub grease cap? That's brilliant! they are about the right shape... if I can find one that fits I can just tack-weld a small section of 1/2" tube to the center and call it good. I'm going to go hit the auto parts store in the morning... :-D

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:45 pm

No the Ford freeze plug was an epic fail. It wasn't tall enough and didn't seal to the outer burn cap. It made for quite a fireball when I lit it.. I shant do that again, good sirs!
So that's when the eyebrows got singed :mrgreen:

Old kid size wagons have axle covers that might work.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Oh well. I couldn't find a grease cap that was small enough. I guess I'll stuff the stove into my knick-knack cabinet for now along with that Apex II. I'll get 'round to it again sometime.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm

It took some diggin around hardware stores to find the right parts, namely the seals, a couple weird (To us North Americaners anyways) O-rings and high temp washers. I had to use an ooold speciality issue Austin of Japan (AKA DATSUN) wheel cylinder honer my grandpops gave me when I was a teen to hone out the pump body just a little bit to smoothen the action and VASTLY improve the seal. And I had to spend an hour cleaning the tank and burner head because they were caked with Soviet era gas-goo. I used an old Optimus Inner burn cap I found on Ebay for 5 bux which fit perfectly.

But the stove from the era of the Soviet's try at Afghanistan runs great on regular pump gas. I'm actually far happier with this stove then the other models of Shmel I own. There is no wonkiness of the pot stand. Its solid as a rock with you pick it up.

Its less of a bear to start up, eventhough it does take a while to get roaring.

I think as a side project I am going to try one of those chinese built BRS-12 stoves. (LOW EXPECTATIONS).. It looks like an old US Army M1942 stove, or perhaps a love child from a pairing between a Coleman 442 and a Svea 123...