I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
oops56

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Post by oops56 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:42 am

zelph wrote:
oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:Yeah, that sounds slow. Not much "jet" power. Any idea what goes bad inside a "generator" can they fixed or do they have to be replaced?
its like a spring in the tube its full rust if you get it out and can clean if not gone to bad also there is a jet hole in there with a needle it may be full crap that about all i know
Sounds like an easy fix. Is the spring to prevent the tube from collapsing?
no the spring is to help to vaporize the fuel its like a cork screw
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:55 am

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:[quote="oops56
its like a spring in the tube its full rust if you get it out and can clean if not gone to bad also there is a jet hole in there with a needle it may be full crap that about all i know
Sounds like an easy fix. Is the spring to prevent the tube from collapsing?
no the spring is to help to vaporize the fuel its like a cork screw[/quote]

Thank you oops the repair man ;) must be a clogged jet, can't be "bad fuel" :mrgreen:

Is that a wind sheild around the pot support and is it attached as part of stove. Looks like flames are orangish and lacking oxygen. Is it a windscreen problem? Nah, must be bad fuel :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:56 pm

zelph wrote: Is that a wind sheild around the pot support and is it attached as part of stove. Looks like flames are orangish and lacking oxygen. Is it a windscreen problem? Nah, must be bad fuel :lol:
Yeah, I'm a gonna haveto take it apart and see whats going on. I'm sure its an easy fix. There isn't much to these stoves.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Here is the Russian built Shmel-4.

I really have to give credit to the Russians for making sturdy, no-nonesense, serviceable, and elegantly simple products that should last a lifetime. Its only a tad bigger then my Coleman 533, but like the Motor Sich, its got some "heft" to it, so its going to take some effort to hurt it.

Boil time = 2 cups water from 48 degrees to 212 in 3 minutes. 10 seconds using coleman fuel.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Brutus, let's name it Brutus Maximus. :mrgreen: It's got power. What's the purpose of the red dome? How do you prime it?

Is it in high gear?

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm

zelph wrote:Brutus, let's name it Brutus Maximus. :mrgreen: It's got power. What's the purpose of the red dome? How do you prime it?

Is it in high gear?
That red dome is a silent burn cap like this one. Its just glowing red-hot.. :) :

I didn't have it going at high gear at the moment as I was trying to get it to burn off all that cosmoline.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 pm

The silent burn cap, is a muffler of sorts, or is it a fuel vaporiser? I did a quick search but to no avail.

What sparked your interest in the armored stoves :mrgreen:

In the past 2 years I invested heavily in Origo Marine type alcohols stoves. All of them are of the "used but nice" kind. The reason being, they are non pressurised and the fuel vapors are light. They go upward if a spill or leak occurs. The vapors of other fuel type stoves are heavy. they go downward, collect in low areas and become concentrated.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 pm

zelph wrote:The silent burn cap, is a muffler of sorts, or is it a fuel vaporiser? I did a quick search but to no avail.

What sparked your interest in the armored stoves :mrgreen:

In the past 2 years I invested heavily in Origo Marine type alcohols stoves. All of them are of the "used but nice" kind. The reason being, they are non pressurised and the fuel vapors are light. They go upward if a spill or leak occurs. The vapors of other fuel type stoves are heavy. they go downward, collect in low areas and become concentrated.
Its both vaporizer and muffler. The Shmel is much quieter then my Coleman 533, yet boils water at a similar rate. It simmers pretty good, yet not as good as my Coleman 440. I did some research on Origo stoves, but deemed them too large for use in mah Volkswagen car camper. (that is, if I can get all this welding done.. )

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 pm

The Shmel is much quieter then my Coleman 533
Is that because of the silent burn cap?

I minitureised the origo stoves down to backpacking size and called it the StarLyte stove. :D They were my inspiration. :o

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

zelph wrote:
The Shmel is much quieter then my Coleman 533
Is that because of the silent burn cap?

I minitureised the origo stoves down to backpacking size and called it the StarLyte stove. :D They were my inspiration. :o
Yes, the silent burner cap makes a big difference in noise. It should also help with burn rate and usually allows for even better boil times. I need to fire it up a few times more to clear out whatever remains of the cosmoline and then refill with fresh fuel. Atleast thats what ultimately worked to "wake-up" the Motor Sich.