I was *really* bored at work....

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Ridgerunner

Re: I was *really* bored at work....

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 pm

I agree steam jam as most of my hikes are a week or less. I might think differently if I was hiking 1000 miles but then again, there are alcohol stoves that have proven pretty reliable.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I agree steam jam as most of my hikes are a week or less. I might think differently if I was hiking 1000 miles but then again, there are alcohol stoves that have proven pretty reliable.
Yes I agree. The Optimus 8r and clone 8r are great when something else is providing the motive power other then your legs..., such as a small car or motorbike. If hiking, then I would tend towards a penny stove, or a dollar store water bottle stove, and a peak 1 mess kit. I was playing around with the idea of exploring the pacific northwest on a Honda cub, or Super Cub and the clone 8r would be perfect for that.....

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:53 am

Just for the heck of it this morning I decided to test out the Mojo pot stand using the retail Trangia alky stove. I tried it two ways: The first testing using an aluminum canteen cup, and the second using a 1qt. stainless Coleman pot. The water was at 48 degrees at the start, and the test ended at 212.

With the aluminum cup: 9 minutes 14 seconds

With the stainless steel Coleman pot: 7 minutes 58 seconds.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:48 pm

We love the dynamics of pot bottoms :mrgreen:

I think the GI mugs were meant to be tank proof :lol: For the most part all they had to do was stand in line and hold the mug out to get it filled with something hot.

Do you have a GI pot support that you can use with the Trangia?

Thanks for sharing the test result. Always find the comparison tests interesting.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 pm

zelph wrote:We love the dynamics of pot bottoms :mrgreen:
I think the GI mugs were meant to be tank proof :lol: For the most part all they had to do was stand in line and hold the mug out to get it filled with something hot.
Do you have a GI pot support that you can use with the Trangia?
Thanks for sharing the test result. Always find the comparison tests interesting.
Yeah. I have the stainless steel GI cup with its aluminum stove stand. I don't use it much nowadays since I discovered the Swedish mess kits.. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am

My memory faileth me :mrgreen: is the Volcano Stove Kit Swedish" or is it Swiss? I like it because it has the aluminum bottle with cork.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Fri May 10, 2013 7:40 pm

zelph wrote:My memory faileth me :mrgreen: is the Volcano Stove Kit Swedish" or is it Swiss? I like it because it has the aluminum bottle with cork.
Swiss Volcano kit.

Swedish Mess kit:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Thank you very much :D I like the Swiss Volcano. Opps56 was going to give me a Borde Bombe stove for Christmas to use with it. :o

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun May 12, 2013 11:38 am

This morning I decided to try out this aluminium Czech mess kit I bought from Ebay for $1.99 with a Dollar Store water bottle stove I built a few years back. Everyone in the internet world said these aluminium Czech mess kits are garbage, but its actually not too bad. The quality is on par with the aluminium Swedish mess kits that everyone loves. Its not as good as the Helikon mess kits. but for $1.99 who cares!

2 cups water from 48 degrees to 212 = 4 Minutes 23 seconds. not bad! I'm actually quite surprised at how well this combination works.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah, that's interesting. That a lot of pot for the flames to transfer heat to. Maybe that's why the water heated up so fast. Connie always had good luck with a bowl shaped pot for heating water. Your pot has a slight taper and the bottom looks a little distorted. what's going on with the bottom of the pot, anything irregular about it?

At a $1.99 nobody can say squat about it :mrgreen: It's working just fine!
Opps56 was going to give me a Borde Bombe stove for Christmas to use with it. :o
Oops is sleeping, he didn't catch that :lol: