Snow Shoeing Snowshoeing snowshoing...newbie.

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
JesterJosev

Snow Shoeing Snowshoeing snowshoing...newbie.

Post by JesterJosev » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Snowshoeing on Mount Seymore snowshoeing trails, Cascade Mountains, BC, Canada.

*Clink, Clank, Clink* “What’s up with my snowshoes dude?” I yell back to my buddy.

“You have to walk wider” he replies.

“Hey do your snowshoe bindings edge in a bit?” I ask.

“huh? no, what?” he replies. The snow around us absorbs the volume of his ambivalence.

“Whatever dude.”

-

By the time we had finished covering majority of Mount. Seymour’s snowshoeing trails, my friend had decided he wanted to take a break. We headed back to the lodge, took off our snowshoes, and ate, eight dollars worth of French fries. Oddly enough this was only two servings between us. Restrictive snacking at the Mount. Seymour is standard.

Whine. Whine. Whine.

-

My friend bursts in to laughter. It turns out that before our break I had the snowshoes on the wrong feet. No more *clinking* and *clanking*. I scamper around outside like a rabbit. “Whoa this is great!” I say to myself, as a resort authority walks by me on the hard packed snow with comparable ease.

“Let’s get hit the provincial trails dude” I say. “We need to keep an eye out, we don’t want to be stuck out there in the dark.” He replies.

As we break from the hard packed trails, the powder seeps around the frames of the snowshoes trying to drown them. “The loft works great man!” I shout back. “Check it out a weasel!” he says, and points into the distance. I don’t see the weasel. About ten rooks inhabit a tree, watching us in hopes that we drop food. I run up the side of a little hill and fall over on my side, learning quickly that I have to kick my toes into the snow to aid the crampon. My friend laughs, “alright dude you try it” I reciprocate. He falls on his side.

Wearing snowshoes on hard packed snow makes me feel stupid, like I don’t know their proper application.

Snowshoeing allows me to hike in the winter. I can’t wait to go again next weekend.

zelph

Re: Snow Shoeing Snowshoeing snowshoing...newbie.

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Sounds like fun, never tried it. I did cross country skiing for a few years and that was reall fun.
My friend bursts in to laughter. It turns out that before our break I had the snowshoes on the wrong feet. No more *clinking* and *clanking*. I scamper around outside like a rabbit. “Whoa this is great!” I say to myself, as a resort authority walks by me on the hard packed snow with comparable ease.
:oops: Your friend knew all along what the problem was :mrgreen:

When you are in deep fresh snow how deep will your shoes sink in?

Do they snap on and off easily?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm

There is a good chance that he did, regardless its pathetic that it took me so long to figure out that I had them on the wrong feet! I had a great time as soon as I corrected the mistake. I just wear my hiking boots, without the snowshoes the walking would hardly be manageable in the powder. With the shoes I only sink in a matter of inches.
It is not as fast as skiing but you have the added advantage of going where ever you please. Once you’ve figured out the up/downhill technique your options really open. You can do things on snowshoes that skiers only dream of.
Contemporary snowshoes are very convenient to put on. In a matter of seconds I can tighten the strap on the ball of the foot, and secure the elastic heel strap.
I would recommend snowshoes to people who are annoyed about waiting until the snow goes away to get back to hiking.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Now that you know there is a r and l tell us how to tell them apart.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/