If The Shoe Fits

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
shakeylegs

If The Shoe Fits

Post by shakeylegs » Sun May 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi all,
I used the forum search function but did not find anything on this topic. I have difficulty finding shoes that fit well. I live in rural Northern California many miles from any retail centers. I therefore find myself purchasing equipment and other items via the web. Trying shoes online can be trying especially because a good description of length, fit and "last construction" are almost never included in product descriptions. I find myself searching for customer reviews that sometimes offer sketchy hints about shoe size and fit.

I've been tempted to order shoes such as Inov-8 and Sportiva but hesitate as I have absolutely no experience with them. I'm thinking most members here have tried on one or more shoes and have some idea of fit. In my case, I have a very wide forefoot, high instep and narrow heel. I am most comfortable in wide, EE size shoes but have found nike and saucony "D" widths to be acceptable. Have any of you run across specific shoe makes or models that might accommodate a wide/high instep foot? Conversely, are there shoes that routinely run narrow, short, long, whatever. I'm interested in any feedback on sizing, fit and durability of running shoes, trail shoes, approach shoes, and even light weight boots. Given sufficient feedback I'd be happy to collate the information into some useable format.

Thanks much
Shakeylegs

Ridgerunner

Re: If The Shoe Fits

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun May 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I really can't help on this topic Shakeylegs as all my hiking boots have be purchased secondhand and are already broken in ;) I hope you can pool enough info to help members with brand sizing. The same thing applies to clothing brands.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

shakeylegs

Post by shakeylegs » Sun May 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I really can't help on this topic Shakeylegs as all my hiking boots have be purchased secondhand and are already broken in ;) I hope you can pool enough info to help members with brand sizing. The same thing applies to clothing brands.
Good point, if people want to throw in clothing feedback I'll try to tackle that too.
For example, most people have probably tried patagonia clothing. I'm 5'10", 190lbs average build and patagonia "medium" outerwear is always just a hair too small. Wearable but snug. So I opt for size large in patagonia outerwear even though the fit is oversized. With the Montane brand however, size large fits snug and I usually opt for size XL (or XXL if I'll be layering). And with Columbia outerwear size medium is usually snug but wearable while size large feels a perfect fit.
We'll see where this goes.
Shakeylegs

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 am

I'm sold on New Balance brand shoes. 3E's for me....modle MW928BK walkers :)

http://www.newbalance.com/on/demandware ... 3002003398
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 am

same here on new balance. they follow the sizes correctly. they follow the brannock tool measurements exactly.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Easy instruction video, thanks sudden. :D shakeyleg will no longer have any problem ordering online :) ;)

shakeylegs

Post by shakeylegs » Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for that video. It confirms what I've known about my shoe size. The problem I've found, especially buying online without trying, is that different manufacturers use different standards so that a 12 in Saucony is about the same length as an 11 in Nike (my experience). Further, there is no such thing as a standard D or E width. Some manufacturers use wider lasts than others for their D standard. And, finally, different manufacturers use different last types, some shoes being more curved like Nike, and some more straight like New Balance and Addidas. Knowing your "true" shoe size only helps to narrow the guessing game.

I started this thread because I was interested in a pair of Inov-8 shoes but had never seen or tried them. And the photos posted online just don't convey the subtleties of the shoe. Last night I pulled the trigger and purchased a pair of Inov-8 295's. And I'm pretty confident that I chose the right size. Because I scoured the internet for reviews of the shoe, and learned that the 295's incorporate many of the dimensions I need for a good fit. People described how they fit in comparison to other popular shoes. Essentially I did the kind of research that I'm proposing in this thread. Also, I found a valuable source that is doing the same kind of comparison for shoppers - runningwarehouse.com. They show you how a shoe will fit compared to a shoe that you already know. you can chose to go up or down a size or width and see how that will affect fit. Really a useful tool for shoe buyers.

So anyway I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of 295's that had been sitting in my shopping cart at 6pm.com for weeks - 6pm being another interesting shopping site (i think the outlet for zappos). I was looking at my shopping cart and the price dropped before my eyes to $39, from 59 which was aready more than fifty percent off retail. WOW.Also picked up some Wright socks from 6pm (great no-blister two layer socks that are usually rather expensive) and a pair of Patagonia Baggies, the better to show off my legs to all the wildlife here in Napa Valley.
Shakeylegs

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm

the better to show off my legs to all the wildlife here in Napa Valley.
I've heard about that Napa Valley wildlife :mrgreen: and if the shoe fits, wear it :lol:

I'll have to take a look at the 6pm shopping site.

Anything good to say about crepe soled shoes?

shakeylegs

Post by shakeylegs » Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 am

Anything good to say about crepe soled shoes?
Crepes are always better with jam than with feet.

shakeylegs

Post by shakeylegs » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Well, the shoe fits!
My Inov-8's arrived today and fit is perfection. Rare on these hard to fit feet. I highly recommend the "fit" comparison tool on runningwarehouse.com. It was right on.
shakeylegs