NC Trails

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Hobo62288

NC Trails

Post by Hobo62288 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:34 pm

I need some help finding a trail to backpack on from July 12-14, 3 days. Only thing is, I'm looking for a trail which is a loop or one where i can go down one and take another trail back to the vehicle. I dont want to take the same trail back if possible. Anyone have any ideas of a trail like this that will take about 3 days/nights total?

Ridgerunner

Re: NC Trails

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

There are several loop trails possible out of Big Creek in the NC side of the Smokies. Start at Big Creek and take an easy day to campsite 37 I think.(about 5mi. along the creek) There are a couple nice waterfalls along the trail. From there you can loop up to the AT and stay at Cosby Shelter and then follow the AT to Mt. Cammerer Fire Tower and then on back to Big creek or spend another night at a shelter before dropping back to Big Creek. The other option would be to head to Mt. Sterling fire tower from campsite 37. The shortest way is straight up the mountain but I prefer to make it a three nighter and swing around to a shelter half way up the mountain and then accend on up to the fire tower. The trail back to Big Creek is easy but a killer on the knees. Both loops have awesome views from the fire towers and I would recommend either one. There ARE bears in the area so make sure to use the bear cables provided at the backcountry campsites and shelters. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Hobo62288

Post by Hobo62288 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:56 am

Awesome. Sounds like a winner to me so far. Only other option i knew of was Eagle Creek at Fontana Dam which I've never heard much about. Thanks for the reply.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 pm

You will need to call the park for a backwoods permit, listing your intended dates and campsites to check for availability and save your confirmation number to fill in the permit paper work outside the ranger office at Big Creek. Big Creek only has 12 primitive sites along the creek with flush toilet bathroom. It is first come first serve campground and is easier to get availability Monday thru Thursday. It is a long winding drive to Cosby campground if Big Creek is full. I have been there four times and once we spent the night at Mountain Momma's just outside of Big Creek but it is no longer there. It is one of my favorite sites in the park and well worth the trip. Last year was the first year that we had a run in with a bear but that is another story for another thread :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Hobo62288

Post by Hobo62288 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Wow, I bet that will get your adrenaline pumping lol. I looked at a few sites about Big Creek and it had said there were bears in the area and to use the supplied cables at each campsite or something. Do you happen to know of any other trails like I am looking for? I'm going with a friend and we were hoping to find a trail that is less likely to have a lot of people and also one where we have more distance to cover each day, we typically strive for around 8 but up to 10 miles a day depending on how strenuous it is. We're not even concerned about having a campsite, we often just set up camp where ever we find a good spot. Something we do like is having water sources that come up every so often just to refill and possibly take a dip to cool off. We are taking hammocks to sleep in so we don't worry about the animals as much as some might.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Most of our days were 8 to 12 mi with the exception of the first day. We have done loop trails out of Elkmont camp site on the other side of the Smokies. We climbed up to Clingmans Dome and back. If you get a trail map of the Smokies, you can plot your own loop trail hikes. I have looked at possibilities out of Cherokee but the drive is quite a bit further and Big Creek keeps calling my name ;) I, too, like to use my hammock but sometimes have to settle on a tent depending who I hike with. There ia also some good flyfishing opportunities in the Smokies. I wish I could get down there more often ;)

Hobo62288

Post by Hobo62288 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 am

Where exactly could I get a trail map that covers north carolina? I don't think there is anywhere in my town to get one and the worst part is I am suppose to leave in a couple weeks. You know of a way to get a map quickly? Is there a site I can download one that you know of? Thanks for all the info and help.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:27 am

off topic.....happy birthday Hobo62288 :happymeal: Summer Solstice Baby....good karma :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Hobo62288

Post by Hobo62288 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Well thank you very much. I appreciate that. I hope your right, that it is good karma. I'll take what I can get :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Hobo62288 wrote:Well thank you very much. I appreciate that. I hope your right, that it is good karma. I'll take what I can get :)
Did you have a great day yesterday and today?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/