Musical instruments for backpacking

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Musical instruments for backpacking

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 am

Musical instruments for backpacking thread over at backpackinglight.com

Realityguy, take notes. go lightweight for backpackers ;) use balsam wood :o make them sound good! give them 2-3 coats of tung oil.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=93240
Attachments
Musical instruments for backpacking.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Musical instruments for backpacking

Post by realityguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Actually they are priced pretty cheap..$60-90..I wonder what they sound like.I would think there would be a lack of volume and tone because of their smaller size..but still <b>they are "packable" instruments</b>..I have my own cedar tenor ukulele that weighs in at 15ounces..which outplays a lot of other tenor ukuleles...but still weighs about the same as say a soprano with geared tuners.It does retain the volume and sustain of the normal tenor ukulele with maybe 2/3rds the weight...because it is the same size as a normal tenor.
http://s226.photobucket.com/user/realit ... b.jpg.html

Before buying one of those ..I'd see if you can listen to a good soundbyte..That's the main reason I don't sell at a website and would rather have people come by to check out instruments.I want them to have a full understanding of what they get.Most people that do buy mine..end up trying a dozen or so.Some find something even more to their personal taste than what was advertised.I rarely have to change ads because of that.People that come here expect to try several different instruments..which is fine with me...I want them to!Most people come back later for more or other ones they tried before. ;)

Dan..most of my instruments get about 6-8 coats of tru-oil(gun stock oil)....however this teardrop one had a sprayed finish..it was just an experiment made from a 2x10x18" long hunk of old cedar facia board that had been laying around my garage for about 10+ years.I did have enough of the cedar for the kerfing and ribs but used other wood I had handy that was stronger and already made to save time.The fretboard and bridge are rosewood or zircote I had laying around also..I have no plans of building and selling any like these because I can't find dry cedar chunks of the same age.I have cut several soundboards,backs,and sides out of other cedar(local red cedar and Alaska yellow)that has been dry for 50-60 years(was 3/4" T and G boards within this house when we bought it in the mid 1980s').I just haven't done anything with that.
The cedar is strong but very light..has excellent tone qualities.I haven't seen many instruments of the Alaska yellow cedar..which will be an experiment someday...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy