Looking for a new Solo Hiking Tent

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Camp_Man

Looking for a new Solo Hiking Tent

Postby Camp_Man » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:25 am

Hi guys,

Im in the market for a new lightweight tent to take on my hiking adventures. Have been using an el cheapo for the past few years and has served me well. But it weighs a lot which adds to the sore shoulders at the end of a long days hike. I have been looking at the big agnes range and found some good reviews on them. This site had some good information on them and a few other lightweight tents . It is quite an investment and wanted to get some more opinions before I went ahead and bought one. Has anyone used the Big Agnes Copper Sur and have any pros and cons they could share with me please? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ridgerunner

Re: Looking for a new Solo Hiking Tent

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Reality Guy has lots of tents and I have a few. I have never used a Big Agnes tent. They are a good quality tent manufacturer. I believe DarenN uses a Big Agnes but he has not been around for some time.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:04 am

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Camp_Man

Postby Camp_Man » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks for the info guys.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 05, 2016 5:19 pm

I've been hiking with a few people that swear by their Big Agnes tents..Personally I don't buy new tents...I'm cheap and shop a lot of thrift stores..Agnes are hard to find used around here..most people don't give them up...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri May 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Stumpjumper used a Slumberjack bivy tent this week. Long story short, a big rain storm came in and he floated away.....I told him to waterproof it :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 06, 2016 10:13 pm

:lol: should have told him to attach an anchor. Did you campout with him, what did you use? or would have used?

I burned some twigs in a DIY titanium stove that is of recent design. Will do more testing tomorrow before the rains come ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 08, 2016 8:53 pm

This was Stumpjumpers tent. After a one sleepless night of being soaked, he used his military poncho for a rainfly that proved to be the fix for this trip.
I was using the purple coleman tent in the foreground. It is a small two person tent with two doors and vestibules. Part of it was laying in a pool of water after the all night storm. Half of my mattress was wet, my bag was damp and I was reasonably dry.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 pm

My heart goes out to you guys. Being wet like that is the worst thing that can happen to put the dampers on a trip. Hope you were not in a wooded area. Woodlands are the worst place to be in a storm. Falling limb/trees are danger danger danger.

a few years ago I was camping and a storm blew in. Collapsed my tent on top of me but stayed dry.

Another time I was by myself camped high up on a hill in a campground, just finished an evening campfire and then retired for the evening. I was in my sleeping bag, just ready to doze off when bright orange light woke me up. A storm front came in and blew the hot coals up and out of the fire ring. I responded like a frightened deer, outside I went and dowsed the burning coals. :oops: a lesson learned. Nothing caught on fire :mrgreen:

That tent looks too small for Stumpjumper :P

So, have you reduced your tent collection along with stove collections :mrgreen:

twas nice of you to donate your wood burner to the north woods cabin. Good sign of stove reduction in the works :o

Return to “General”