New Websites

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Pure Mahem

New Websites

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:14 pm

GrinchMT, I like your new website. I really like your webstore it is a valuable addition to the community. I think you may want to put on your blast helmet though and prepare for the incoming rant of the maine mudslinging community. I enjoyed your sight and think healthy competition is good it benefits everyone. I have to add this, I like your store better! I'll spend some moollah there when I get paid, lot of things I like. Any ideas for selling the fiberglass wick in longer lengths upon request at a bulk discount? In the words of the immortal Spok "Live Long and Prosper!" :mrgreen:

You have also inspired me to go about designing my own website and am doing so on freewebs. I don't know if there hosting is good or not but it was available. I noticed Jason Klass used them to host his Hiker box and thats where I got the idea to use them to create my own website. Not to mention, they're basics are free! I'm not sure how much space the free part includes, I'm sure it's limited, because they offer a premium package for 19.95 a year. Not really bad, but we'll see how much the free part has to offer before I go investing. I don't think I'll have a store, though. Mine is mainly going to be a reference for DIY and my Interests. Not that I don't have an entrepeneurial spirit that may come about later. I can't recall the web adress at the moment but I'll post it when I get it more complete. I really have to say I commend all of you who run your own sites it's a lot of freaking work to get everything just right and just when you think you have it you see something that needs fixing. For me it's spelling or for that matter using the correct spelling I am consistently typing now as know. Just plain irritating when your proofreading your own work, lol! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Re: New Websites

Post by oops56 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:they're basics are free! I'm not sure how much space the free part includes, I'm sure it's limited, because they offer a premium package for 19.95 a year. Not really bad, but we'll see how much the free part has to offer before I go investing. I don't think I'll have a store, though. Mine is mainly going to be a reference for DIY and my Interests. Not that I don't have an entrepeneurial spirit that may come about later. I can't recall the web adress at the moment but I'll post it when I get it more complete. I really have to say I commend all of you who run your own sites it's a lot of freaking work to get everything just right and just when you think you have it you see something that needs fixing. For me it's spelling or for that matter using the correct spelling I am consistently typing now as know. Just plain irritating when your proofreading your own work, lol! :mrgreen:
Dont tell me about spelling my spell check sometime even when my word wrong it say ok cause the word is spell right but not the one i try to say.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Grinch, Just checked out your website. GOOD job. Nicely laid out and easy to follow. I wish you nothing but success in your maiden voyage. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:15 pm

See there GrinchMT, your on a roll. Your first customer :)

Good fortune on your new site.!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Here's the link to my new sight let me know what you think. I'm thinking to add a forum sometime but I'm not sure I'm ready for that responsability. It's still very much a work in progress and I've been spending a lot of time there the last few days. If you can't get in it's probably because my butt is working on it. I want to add a hiking page, a survival page, and a page on alternative energy solutions. I will probably do that sometime with in the next week. I really want to get as much as I can done before the end of the month. Because I'm moving and the new place has dial up. Here we go back to the stone age... Has it's perks though it's more rural and lot's more axcess to trails and such. My dog will love it we have a huge yard sure beats living in town in this apartment building, no more pooper scooper, LOL. I can finally build my Garden for Victory. I've spent a lot of time planning that over the winter. That should give some content for my site, hopefully with videos. But I'll have to wait til I can get back to civilization to load them up. There is no way I'm going to go through the agony of trying to load video on a dial up connection. Well okay I'll probably try it at least once when I don't have anything better to do, LOL! Enjoy!

http://backlash308.webs.com/

Go figure my name wasn't available, but I couldn't find a site using it. So I did the next best thing I named it after my rifle I'm building, LOL. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

GrinchMT

Post by GrinchMT » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Zelph - Already have taken orders for 13 stoves since getting the store live Thursday morning. Have to make more this weekend....

Pure - Dude I like your site. My favorite section is your gardening section. Now we're talking fun. We moved to Montana from New Hampshire last September. The one thing I hated giving up was our one acre of ground the house sat on. Had plenty of room for gardening. I'm a little more limited here this year in Bozeman and this year we are doing something different than we ever have. We are actually planning on dehydrating a good majority of the veggies we can, can some, while freezing others. In the past we have always given away our bountiful extras and we decided we're not going to do that this year. I'm also going to build a cold cellar under the house. My house is built on a "crawl space" - The space has a rough cemented floor. My furnace is down there and there is about 4 feet between the floor and joists. It stays cool enough that I believe we can make a really nice root cellar. Anyway I'm digressing alot. I like your site. You put some time effort and thought into it. You're definitely on my "A" list for bookmarks.

Oh yeah... regarding internet access.... Cellular plans are getting cost effective and work pretty well. Satellite plans are also getting much more cost effective. You should consider looking into alternatives like that instead of accepting dialup. Crikey I dunno how anyone can survive on dialup these days ;)
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

russb

Post by russb » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Grinch, if you like making your own dehydrated meals be sure to check out the book Backpacker Gourmet by Linda Yaffe. It is by far the best source for dehydrated backpacking meal recipes.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:48 pm

russb wrote:Grinch, if you like making your own dehydrated meals be sure to check out the book Backpacker Gourmet by Linda Yaffe. It is by far the best source for dehydrated backpacking meal recipes.
I agree!!!! by far the best I've read. Really great book, highly recomend it.

bplite is a new website and I havn't sold 13 stoves yet. Must be the video thingy. I need to buy a decent camera and get with the crowd. If I could only sell some stoves so I could buy a camera. The thing about DIY websites is you teach everyone how to make them and then they go off and make their own :mrgreen: some truth to that, not alot but some.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

GrinchMT

Post by GrinchMT » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Hey Russ - I do indeed like making our own meals. Our second refrigerators in the garage is loaded with enough stuff to get us thru half the summer thus far. I cook a lot at home. Been a hobby of mine for along time. I was a such a cookobook addict that my wife asked me to please not buy another book until I'm at least 60. :)

I would really like to get Sarbar's book and the one by Linda but she'll kill me if I do so I have been content with just experimenting with ideas. For lunch I usually have something new everyday. Some of them ok, some of them stink.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:56 pm

I would really like to get Sarbar's book and the one by Linda but she'll kill me if I do so I have been content with just experimenting with ideas. For lunch I usually have something new everyday. Some of them ok, some of them stink.
GrinchMT, you never know till you give it a whirl. Just like the mountain Mans breakfast posted here. Tried it, added to it, ---it was awesome. I've tried making some meals that went straight to the trash :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !