Replacement Nalgene Bottle Lid

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Allen

Replacement Nalgene Bottle Lid

Post by Allen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 pm

I noticed that the lid from a Plastic 24 oz jar of Kroger Dry Roasted Peanuts will fit on a
wide mouth Nalgene bottle. It actually works better than the stock lid,
because You don't have to torque it tight to keep it from leaking.
If You ever lose Your Nalgene lid, keep it in mind.

Ridgerunner

Re: Replacement Nalgene Bottle Lid

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 pm

I was in Dicks yesterday and noticed that some company has come out with a Nalgene (and other wide mouth bottles) replacement lid that converts your bottle to a lantern globe. There is a lifetime bulb on the inside with a plastic covering over it. It looks as if the lid will seal the bottle. Not sure how many or what type of batteries it took. Neat idea ! I'll stick with my head lamp. I already have way too many gadgets ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Ridgerunner,

Was it like this? It's called the "Firefly". It works best with lighter colored bottles.
I've heard good things about it, but It never was intended to replace Your flashlight.
It gives a nice area light.

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Was it like this? It's called the "Firefly". It works best with lighter colored bottles.
I've heard good things about it, but It never was intended to replace Your flashlight.
It gives a nice area light.
That's it Allen. It says it gives a warm glow. I wonder it it's bright enough to read by?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:58 pm

i don't remember where but i read that they don't cast enough light to read by. more of an 'aumbiaunce' thing than actual lighting. could be a good thing as a marker at night, if you're waiting for someone to catch up with you. i've used a Uco candle lantern as a landing marker when i'm expecting late-comers on kayak trips. (also used it once as an anchor light when the electrics went out on me sailboat. t'was a long sail to port the next day in very light winds. ;) )
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:16 am

Would be really nice for evening fishing. Fishing season just opened here can't wait to get out and get me some fresh trout! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 am

Would be really nice for evening fishing. Fishing season just opened here can't wait to get out and get me some fresh trout!
Pure Mayhem, do you know of any good trout streams in the Smokys / We're heading that way in a month and would like to wet a line while we hike.

Allen

Post by Allen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Would be really nice for evening fishing. Fishing season just opened here can't wait to get out and get me some fresh trout!
Pure Mayhem, do you know of any good trout streams in the Smokys / We're heading that way in a month and would like to wet a line while we hike.
I know You're busy getting ready for Your trip, but I would be interested in knowing what ultralight fishing gear You like.

Maybe when You get back? Or maybe someone else could chime in. I need a small rod for my emergency bag.

Cheers!

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Allen;
when kayaking i just carry a hand-line on a kind-of "D" shaped line holder that i made out of 1/2" plywood.
i'm very careful not to target the larger species (salmon) after the one time a thirty-ish pounder took me for a ride. :o i had to break him off as he was dragging me out to sea.
Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:42 pm

DarenN wrote:Allen;
when kayaking i just carry a hand-line on a kind-of "D" shaped line holder that i made out of 1/2" plywood.
i'm very careful not to target the larger species (salmon) after the one time a thirty-ish pounder took me for a ride. :o i had to break him off as he was dragging me out to sea.
Daren.........
Try fishing for the species that paralell the shore line when caught :mrgreen:

Use a barbless hook, when your done with the free ride, snip the line :mrgreen:

Those little needles you paddle must really zip through the water at a pretty quick pace.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/