Ultra-Light check list

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
dlarson
Site Admin

Re: Ultra-Light check list

Post by dlarson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:31 am

Nice link Darren. I think it gets down to the core philosophy - survival skills.
I can't help but feel slightly bothered by their statement about the lightweight backpacking community though.
The modern Ultralight Backpacking movement has disintegrated into the constant discussing of gear weights and gram counting instead of understanding what could be the core of their beliefs. If only they could understand the core of Nessmuking.
Yes, there are probably folks that don't really learn the core skills. But I would argue that for those that don't there are plenty that do. For all the folks that already have the core skills, what's left to talk about but grams and ounces? Myself, I have been reading some great books that talk about those specific skills needed and I feel pretty comfortable with most of them. The modern ultralight backpacking gear list looks a lot like Nessmuk's. I agree with the article though, that the core skills are important, otherwise just packing according to the list leaves one horribly unprepared in the wilderness.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

russb

Post by russb » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:41 am

Interesting, I didn't read the "core of Nessmuking" as a reference to skills. Though I agree outdoors skills are paramount. I think this is true whether one is nessmuking, or carrying half their house. I read it ("core of Nesmuking") as a reference to philosophy. In other words, go lite but it isn't a contest it is a means to enjoy oneself and commune with nature with minimal gear. I think this is contrary to those who are not attempting to minimalize their gear list but instead just getting the lightest versions. Of course there are many who do "get it" but the complaint, I think, is this is not the mainstream. At least this is not how it is perceived. Of course I could have interpreted it completely wrong.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:52 pm

You make a good point and that is likely part of the Nessmuking philosophy. It's true, some people are just about getting the next lightest piece of gear and look at it as some sort of contest. I guess I was reading it more as skills because of this line:
This is the core belief of Nessmuking: If you can rely on yourself, you can pass lighter and more simply with less and lighter gear.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin