Howdy from nw Arkansas

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
commandokanak

Howdy from nw Arkansas

Postby commandokanak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:53 am

Hey there from nw Arkansas. New to the forum and recently back into hiking/backpacking. It's been about 12 years since I've been on the trail and I picked a real doozie of a trip to reintroduce myself. Me and group of guys from church went Alamosa, CO last weekend and hiked up Blanca Peak! Along the way, we found out it's one of the harder/est 14'er.

I used to live in Aspen, CO and hiked all the time, but family, school and career has kind of gotten in the way. Well, no more. I'm going to start hitting the trail more often. Now I need to update my gear. Look forward to getting involved in the forum.

oops56

Re: Howdy from nw Arkansas

Postby oops56 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:18 am

commandokanak wrote:Hey there from nw Arkansas. New to the forum and recently back into hiking/backpacking. It's been about 12 years since I've been on the trail and I picked a real doozie of a trip to reintroduce myself. Me and group of guys from church went Alamosa, CO last weekend and hiked up Blanca Peak! Along the way, we found out it's one of the harder/est 14'er.

I used to live in Aspen, CO and hiked all the time, but family, school and career has kind of gotten in the way. Well, no more. I'm going to start hitting the trail more often. Now I need to update my gear. Look forward to getting involved in the forum.

Welcome you find we are here to help and i think you find allmost ever thing you need to get back into things :)
Man play with fire man get burnt

russb

Postby russb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Welcome back to the great outdoors, and welcome to bplite.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Were glad you're here Commando, welcome!!!!

Me and group of guys from church went Alamosa, CO last weekend and hiked up Blanca Peak! Along the way, we found out it's one of the harder/est 14'er.

That's quite a rude awakening to get started again. :D

Were you in condition to take on that one as starters?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Welcome! I was just inthe Aspen area recently. Beautiful area!
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

commandokanak

Postby commandokanak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome.

I was no where near in the shape I needed to be for that hike (climb!). Mostly it was altitude getting to me (got winded very easily...no sickness though) but my ankles and legs got really tired. I packed way too much and the gear (mostly old stuff) is not exactly lightweight so my shoulders and hips were aching as well. I was completely exhausted from the trip. And we're already planning to go back next year! Albeit...with a much lighter pack and in much better condition. The guy who put the trip together didn't know Blanca Peak is one of the harder 14er's to ascend (well worth it though!).

Now I'm really itchin to get back on the trail asap! Fortunately there's lots of hiking close to where I live here in AR. I've also been looking at everything to see if it could be mad into a stove or cook pot or something!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:58 pm

Welcome aboard! :)

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:04 pm

Welcome Cammanokanak !!! :D I have a brother-in-law who is a Razorback and hails from Rogers Arkansas. He recently brought 78 crappie fillets to Ohio on July 4th from some of the cleanest waters in the country in arkansas. Boy, were they good !! :D

I've also been looking at everything to see if it could be mad into a stove or cook pot or something!

Be warned...it is addicting and you find yourself looking at everything with new meaning. Glad to have you aboard !!!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

commandokanak

Postby commandokanak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Hey ridgerunner, I'm just down the road from your brother. I live in Lowell which borders the south side of Rogers. Yeah, we do have some pretty clean lakes...even the dirty ones are clean by other states standards! Now I wouldn't go swimming in the Arkansas River though! I'll catch the fish in the river too, but I always throw 'em back!

I'm gonna guess your brother works for Wal-Mart or is a vendor to Wal-Mart....right? (I'm a consultant to 'em)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm gonna guess your brother works for Wal-Mart or is a vendor to Wal-Mart....right? (I'm a consultant to 'em)

Nope, he works at a place that makes Glad wrap. I remember him telling me about the new wrap they have that is supposed to cling to about anything.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”