Hello from KY

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
rigidpsycho

Hello from KY

Post by rigidpsycho » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:58 am

Hey guys been lurking for awhile and have made many stoves from your design. I have officially entered the realm of crazed stove maker, to the point my wife is asking me just how many stoves I need ( I've told her it's cheaper than buying a canister stove). I have made so many different stoves as well as pitched some that Iive tried to improve, but made a mess out of it. I just got back i to the backpacking scene about 2 years ago. My shelter of choice is my hammocks. Zelph and Skidsteer you guys are awesome engineers of aclhy stoves and other great backpacking DIY gear. Thanks everyone for the great inspirations on the different stove ideas out there.

DarenN

Re: Hello from KY

Post by DarenN » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:17 pm

welcome aboard! we look forward to seeing your stoves.

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Welcome to the board rigidpsycho! Always room for one more goof around here. :)
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

rigidpsycho

Post by rigidpsycho » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:37 pm

I've got to take some pictures here soon. Some of my buddies from Hammockforums.net want to see them as well. The five that I have now work fine, but it is just so much fun make a better one or at leats trying to. I just recently hurt my back at work so now I'm trying to get me a 24 oz Heine can to make me a pot, so I can just have it nested in my "skidsteer trail coffeemaker". Right now I have been using the smallest pot out of my Texsport Balckice cookset and a stove I made out of atuna fish can(inspired by cloudwalker from WB), a buddy of mine called it the "Frankenstove" when he first saw it due to the 3 hex bolts used for the poptstand. I have used it on the last two trips I have been on and it worked great. I have made two stoves out of aluminum bottles, one bottle was a Mt. Dew bottle the other was a VENOM energy drink. The other two are made from redbull cans and a popcan stove with a Coors light can for the inner wall. I will try to get some pictures here soon and post them here.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:03 pm

We are indeed glad to have you here!!!!!!

You certainly have been busy designing and building. :D Most of us here get by ok with our inexpensive stoves. There are some here that collect and build canister stoves. It would be nice to hear what their wives and significant others have to say about their collections. :mrgreen:

As we know, you just gotta have some warm food while trekking. No better way to heat it than using a DIY stove. They make food taste better :mrgreen: They make you feel goooood.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Welcome to the board rigidpsycho! My brother-in-law, the ol' Stumpjumper, just took his wife for a weekend getawy to the Red River Gorge. Have you hiked that area or the Natural Bridge area ? Being reasonably close, I'm interested to know if there are any loop trails in either of these two areas?
Look forward to seing some of your creations. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

rigidpsycho

Post by rigidpsycho » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Welcome to the board rigidpsycho! My brother-in-law, the ol' Stumpjumper, just took his wife for a weekend getawy to the Red River Gorge. Have you hiked that area or the Natural Bridge area ? Being reasonably close, I'm interested to know if there are any loop trails in either of these two areas?
Look forward to seing some of your creations. ;)
There are some good loops in the gorge are as well as Natural bridge, but you can only campin the backcountry in the gorge. If I'm not mstaken the only people allowed to set up camp inside of Natural Bridge State park area are those who are thru hiking the Shelotowee Trace. There is some useful info on this website http://www.kywilderness.com/or http://www.redrivergorge.com/. I was down there in May with some of my hammock camping buddies. I wish I could get my wife to go out with me, I would probably get out alot more. I'm gonna try to take the kids outfor a hike here soon down that way. Right now I'm getting ready for my trip to Mammoth Cave NP in October.
I do like using the stoves I make better b/c it gives me the feeling of accomplishment knowing I am cooking on a stove I made myself.