NEW MEMBERS....PLEASE READ !!!

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
cadyak

Re: NEW MEMBERS....PLEASE READ !!!

Postby cadyak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 am

Welcome from Ga. Sounds like you got it bad too. You have come to the right place. FIRE GOOD :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Welcome cchapman1, because you are the 1,110th person to register on PBL you are eligible to receive a piece of Carbon Fiber cloth FREE :D No strings attached. ;) Send me your mailing address in a PM and I'll send it out to you within a few days.

Glad you found us! :D

How may we be of future service?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

rio nueces

Postby rio nueces » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello everybody. Found this forum while seaching info on alcohol.....stoves.
Nice place, lots of good ideas from smart people.
I lived 5 years in Colorado Springs, up against the Front Range, hiked most every day. When I stayed out I carried my Svea 123r.
Here in Houston my nose is to the grindstone, but I am not giving up hope! Some day will get back to high country. A 61 year old man must not give up hope - if I can't get as far as fast, I can get just as far a little more slowly.
Big fan of Ed Abbey and Simone Weil - now is that a combination or what?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Welcome aboard rio nueces! I remember as a teen, taking a family vacation in a RV out west. I thought Colorado Springs was the most beautiful city on the planet. You should find lots of info on alcohol stove on the site. Feel free to ask questions or share your ideas ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 am

Nice to have you here. Lots of info on stoves of all kinds. Oops56 is our resident expert on vintage type stoves. ridgerunner is expert on lanterns and tents. Lots of folks here are really sharp on many facets of camping, hammocking and paddling. We tend to be laid back, taking life easy in the slow lane as we enjoy the outdoors.

The hail storm out in Colorado was awesome last week. Whodda thunk it!!!

It's cool how they parraglide along the mountain range down the valley near Colorado Springs.

Now I have to look up who Ed Abbey and Simone Weil are :? :D

KentSanders

Postby KentSanders » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:16 am

zelph wrote:Yuk, you are in a cold zone :D No wonder you have maxed out on being fossil free.

Having a home built in ground on 3 sides is sounds good to me. Let mother earth heat it during the winter along with solar panel. Glass chimney for drafting /circulation etc. Mother Earth Magazines (old issues) have lots of good ideas on how to conserve and get off the grid.

You seems to have very nice home making full use of natural source of energy.. I would love to build similar home in my life.
Last edited by KentSanders on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 am

KentSanders wrote:You seems to have very nice home making full use of natural source of energy.. I would love to build similar home in my life.

Glad to have you here Kent. Where are you living that you can start building your own energy efficient home?

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Hello all, I am known as StovieWander here, at White Blaze, and a few shelter logs along the PA portion of the AT. I was previously known as Fire Pants for knocking over an alcohol stove in VA and setting my pant leg on fire. I decided I needed a new trail name when I found another Fire Pants had tagged a shelter down in NC. I posted a couple of stoves at White Blaze, and then decided to come over here. I hope to post more here, and hope others will try some of my designs and/or offer constructive criticism.

I have section hiked a little over half the Appalachian Trail north of Springer Mt, plus NJ. I do almost all my trail cooking over an alcohol flame, but occasionally use wood or charcoal. My first alcohol burner was the metal cap from a hip flask (simple open burner). An Armour Beef stew can was my windscreen and pot support, with three screws in the side wall to support the pot, and perforations near the bottom for air. Since then I have improved my windscreen, and built numerous soda can stoves and a few White Box Stove clones. But now I mostly use the top 1.5" of aluminum cans that dispense cheese to make stoves, plugging the bottom with 1" cut from the bottom of a tomato paste can.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Whoooo!!! stoviewonder made it here :mrgreen: All it took was a check mark in a box and then a click :D

When did you become interested in making alcohol stoves and who inspired you?

There used to be only a few videos on youtbe....now there are a few million :lol:

Glad to have you here and look forward to your creations. :D

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm

zelph wrote:Whoooo!!! stoviewonder made it here :mrgreen: All it took was a check mark in a box and then a click :D

When did you become interested in making alcohol stoves and who inspired you?

There used to be only a few videos on youtbe....now there are a few million :lol:

Glad to have you here and look forward to your creations. :D

Thanks for checking and clicking. I have done a bit of web site building, so I know how that goes. No, I do not have my own site.

I got interested before April 2011, which is when I set out north from Roanoke VA on the AT. I cannot blame any one individual for my addiction, except myself. When planning my hike, I looked at lots of alcohol stoves on various web sites, including White Blaze and here. Tetkoba has a lot of inspiring designs. I am inspired by your commitment to safety, with your spill-proof designs, and your willingness to lock horns with the bullheaded. I lean more towards the pressurized burners, but quickly lost interest in jetted soda cans and White Box Stove clones.

Thanks for having me.

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”