NEW MEMBERS....PLEASE READ !!!

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
RINZAR

Re: NEW MEMBERS....PLEASE READ !!!

Post by RINZAR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I was given a Zelph stove for X-mass 4 years ago Before I left for the Navy. My father is a huge fan of Zelph's stoves. And i talk to him about bplite and Zelph's stoves all the time. I injoy the on going reserch and development of things in general.

RINZAR

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Welcome RINZAR :D

Now you can plan on doing your own research and taking some time to use your gift. Your father has good taste in stoves. ;)

Thanks for your service in the Armed Forces. We have a few Navy folk here and a few from other branches.

Thanks for stopping by :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

slantstitch

Post by slantstitch » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi all. I saw the tent/tarp enthusiasm and knew this is the place for me. Oh, can't forget the stove love either. :D

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Oh, you are in the right place. ;)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Welcome slantstitch! You have come to the right place for stove and diy gear discussions. Pull up a log and join in ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 am

We like slant stitches on tarps. You'll fit right in :D

MellamoDEREK

Post by MellamoDEREK » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey gang. New here. Been trollin' here for a while. Good stuff. Stove world led me here. Dig all the info.
Stay safe.

Derek

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

MellamoDEREK wrote:Hey gang. New here. Been trollin' here for a while. Good stuff. Stove world led me here. Dig all the info.
Stay safe.

Derek
Glad to have you here with us stove addicts :D

To start you out take a look at this one:

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Holy inferno Batman! :shock:
Glad the lid held up. thats quite a fire you got there.

Welcome to the best stove forum Derek.. :D

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello! Evidently, my email server is a source of a lot of spam; but evidently I'm registered and recognized, anyway. Thanks!

Backpacking is in my past; by the time I was 30, I'd spent a year (in total, not all at once) hiking in the Sierras. No more - I'm tethered to the 'grid' by a CPAP machine. A deep cycle battery does make car camping possible. So, super-light equipment isn't my highest priority. Still, lighter and smaller is better. I like to go to StarParties, it is possible to drive to attractive observing locations in the Sierra, and a telescope or two helps with the attitude adjustment - "Hey! This used to be the trailhead."

After scouring YouTube for stoves and bushcraft skills I ordered a rocket stove from Rocketstoves.org. on Feb. 6, 2012. I saw that Simplepeddler had bought one, that seemed encouraging. My PayPal payment went through, but a month later, no stove and no response to emails. Anyone know what's up, or not up? I think a month is long enough to wait; time to see if PayPal really is looking out for me....

I have a stove collection (guessing everyone here does!) but I hardly ever bother to light up any of the petroleum fueled ones. It just makes me nervous, mostly. back 'round 1970 I picked up a Svea 123R , and that's pretty much the only one that still charms me. Eventually I got smart, or at least less bull-headed, and recognized the virtues of alcohol stoves. I have not one, not two, but three Bushbuddies, but back when they were Trekstove. And, I tried a Woodgas CampStove, too early in the development, evidently, because the fan motor burned out after just a few burns. Eventually, the company changed hands (I guess) and I got another, which seems to have staying power. But, the battery... almost as anxiety provoking as white gas. Great to have clean burn, but always a stressful event, anyway, IMO. Coleman should have stuck with the Peak 1, I have the remains of two of their failed attempts to break into the lite weight world. Maybe they worked it out by now, but I'm not going another round. I'm pretty happy with Trangia, and the ClikStand; tempted to get a 27, but the clikstand gets it done, and I'm not counting grams anymore. I cut up a bunch of soda and beer cans a few years ago.

Lately I picked up a set of Uni-bits at Harbor Freight, and I've been playing with tin cans. I really wanted a Lucia, but how can you get one? Noticed the Everything Nice, and made one. Sorta - I used a couple of tin cans, and found the inside (or underneath) can really needed a lot more ventilation. Made a hardware cloth pot stand, and I'm trying a third can for a pot stand - chimney.

Now, I really like the Bushbuddy, though I agree its the quality of the thing, not the 'double wall', that makes it work. But, I mostly use wood pellets, and though that works pretty well, pellets aren't what it's designed for. I'll probably be cutting up some tin cans single-wall style, 'next'.

I'm really liking how the Everything Nice works for me. Not fast to light, not fast to boil, but it will easily boil 4 cups water on one load of pellets, about a cup's worth. Not as fast or hot as the Bushbuddy, not as robust, but a consistent burn for (haven't timed it yet, and I don't really care) pretty much the duration. Pretty burn. Anyhow, I'm having major fun, the pots don't get as dirty, there's way less smoke. Fans? I don't need no stinking fans....

Now, the Everything Nice isn't a single wall; but I don't see how else this sort of burn could be achieved. The way I'm thinking of it is, it's not so much a double wall stove, as a firebox with an external gas wick. I never expected to get wood or wood pellets to perform so similar to alcohol!

Not meaning to be argumentative, but I gotta ask, what about a wood stove that has a hollow cylinder in the middle? Sure looks to run great, but the central cylinder is kinda like a double wall, only the outer wall is in the middle. Really, that's where it should be, IMO - the only real chance to pre-heat the secondary air is to route it thru the middle of the fire, at least in such a small, short, stove

Couple of rockets that tickle my fancy: The Stovetec 2 door (cuz it can simmer unattended for a significant time, and what about that super water heater!) and the DK rocket, because it looks to be small enough for personal use (obviously, not backpacking), and it's made by a serious blacksmith!

Sure am liking my current rendition of the Everything Nice, though it probably isn't the best design for wilderness travel in possibly severe conditions. Don't think it gets a FAIL for using two cans, though. Now I think of it, the inner fire box can I made with diagonal cut air intakes, to try for that cyclone effect.

Oh, yeah - I visited the Indian Mounds, bout 30 years ago....

Paul