Welcome to bpLite.com!

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
Mags

Welcome to bpLite.com!

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Welcome to bpLite.com!

bpLite is a new site dedicated to the concept of lightweight backpacking. The gear, the the style and "philosophy" of light weight backpacking. bpLite will also feature a special emphasis on DIY gear in addition to the cottage manufacturers who also make some great gear.

Your hosts for this new site include:

Midway Sam (site Admin)

Skidsteer (admin)

Zelph (admin)

.... and yours truly.

So give a hello, introduce yourself and welcome to our little neck of Cyberspace!

~Mags
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

zelph

Re: Welcome to bpLite.com!

Post by zelph » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Hello All, Welcome to bpLite.

I'm located in Northern Illinois. I'm outside the house most of the time.

Love building stoves and other things. I like teaching fire making skills and survival skills.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Hello Neighbors,

I reside in SW Ohio, outside the college town of Oxford. I love being in the woods, whether camping, hunting, backpacking, letterboxing, or just hiking. I also love to fish and golf and enjoy most sports, including(thought I would never say this), watching my niece's play soccer. I enjoy so many activities, it seems there is never enough time to spend doing any one thing but I give it my best shot. Oh, let me not forget, the hours(darn dial-up) on the computer refining stove building and tweeking the grams in the pack. I look forward to chating with all of you at some point in time!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:13 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Hello Neighbors,

I reside in SW Ohio, outside the college town of Oxford. I love being in the woods, whether camping, hunting, backpacking, letterboxing, or just hiking. I also love to fish and golf and enjoy most sports, including(thought I would never say this), watching my niece's play soccer. I enjoy so many activities, it seems there is never enough time to spend doing any one thing but I give it my best shot. Oh, let me not forget, the hours(darn dial-up) on the computer refining stove building and tweeking the grams in the pack. I look forward to chating with all of you at some point in time!
Glad to have you here!!!!

I'm not too far away from Ohio, but the past time of letterboxing has not caught on around here. What is letterboxing? :?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:35 pm

Letterboxing is similar to Orienteering in the you have to find an item hidden somewhere based on clues given at the letterboxing.org web site. The way it works is you hand carve a stamp and put it along with a small notepad in a small tupperware(waterproof) type container and hide it in a unique location in the woods(say inside an old stump) and then post clues on the website as to how to find it. The searchers will then hunt and locate your box. The searcher has their own identifying hand carved stamp and will use his ink pad to stamp the hidden notepad and leave a little note. Then they will take the hidden stamp and stamp their personal notepad that they bring with them. After exchanging stamps, the searcher replaces the letterbox with its contents exactly back where it was hidden so that others can find it. It is on a honor system but unfortunately, sometimes people, animals, or acts of God will cause a letterbox to turn up missing, at which time you can report it missing to its creator on the web site. All in all, another good reason to go for a hike in the woods. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Letterboxing is similar to Orienteering in the you have to find an item hidden somewhere based on clues given at the letterboxing.org web site. The way it works is you hand carve a stamp and put it along with a small notepad in a small tupperware(waterproof) type container and hide it in a unique location in the woods(say inside an old stump) and then post clues on the website as to how to find it. The searchers will then hunt and locate your box. The searcher has their own identifying hand carved stamp and will use his ink pad to stamp the hidden notepad and leave a little note. Then they will take the hidden stamp and stamp their personal notepad that they bring with them. After exchanging stamps, the searcher replaces the letterbox with its contents exactly back where it was hidden so that others can find it. It is on a honor system but unfortunately, sometimes people, animals, or acts of God will cause a letterbox to turn up missing, at which time you can report it missing to its creator on the web site. All in all, another good reason to go for a hike in the woods. :lol:
Well I'll be doggone. Clever idea. I'll pay a visit to that site and get further educated. One of my daughters and I like to geocache hunt. I think you;ve inspired me to give her a new project to work on. She likes using rubber stamps in her krafting projects. Why not create and make her own stamp :D . Mine would take on the shape of a stove :D

Glad to have you here Ridgerunner and for the info on letterboxing.

Hmmm!!! Bearbagging, something new on the horizon. Find the hanging bearbag, eat something, leave something to eat. Put something in don't take anything out, how long before the cord breaks :lol: :twisted:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Bearbagging :D Interesting concept. I think the squirrels would wise up--chew through the rope and have a thanksgiving feast with all their kin. :lol: If it's food you want, you could start a MountainHouse entree pyrimid chain letter. Enough meals to last a whole hiking season delivered right to your door! :lol:

Mags

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:56 pm

Yeah...letterboxing is a great way to brush up on orienteering skills.

I've seen some of the prizes you get. Some are rather funny! :)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art