Am I the only Kiwi?

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
therealtrevor_nz

Am I the only Kiwi?

Postby therealtrevor_nz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:40 am

Hi everyone, Tim from New Zealand here. Looks like I'm the only one from NZ, but I saw that someone had been fishing here last year.

Anyway, I've been watching the hundreds of YT stove videos and have plenty of ideas! Haven't got all the tools I'd like but I get by. Will be posting videos of some experiments soon (nothing outragously successful yet, but I'll get there!).

Has anyone tried building a stove based on the joe-pipe version which has a chamber for gasification attached? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U7BCmZIekE&feature=channel

I'm working on something a little less blowtorch like at the moment. Also playing with a sort of internal chimney (separate stove) as it's constantly windy here and I have trouble maintaining the flame stability because the air coming out of the jets isn't at all constant.

It all feels a little fruitless because I recently found out that there's a year-round ban on woodburning fires of any description where I want to go tramping. Still, it's an excuse to light fires so it's all good fun!

zelph

Re: Am I the only Kiwi?

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 am

I think "tony" is a wannabe Kiwi :mrgreen: he's the one that has fished in your back yard :)
Were glad to have you here Tim.
I have not built a stove based on the joe-pipe version, but it sure does look interesting. I'd probably have to have a special designated pack to cary it in :D

(nothing outragously successful yet, but I'll get there!).

You'll get there sooner than later ;) we have confidence in stove makers that have watched the hundreds of YT videos and are willing to try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It all feels a little fruitless because I recently found out that there's a year-round ban on woodburning fires of any description where I want to go tramping

Use that particular stove in areas that are not under the "burn ban" In your back yard on weekends just for the fun of it :DBfire:

When you get the chance show us some photos of your creation with flames coming out of it :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am

welcome! glad to have you around here. :D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:00 pm

WELCOME Aboard, NZ. Sounds like you need to fabricate a Kelly Kettle type system. I've made a couple and am currently working on another DIY Kettle. Good luck with your fabrications and look forward to seeing the results of your efforts ! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

therealtrevor_nz

Postby therealtrevor_nz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks guys :) Yeah the thermette (seems to be the basis of the Kelly Kettle) originates from NZ - gotta love Kiwi ingenuity.
I asked the department of conservation about the definition of 'open fire' regarding the fire ban (so I could design something which burns wood but wouldn't be considered an open fire). I sent them a link to the trailstove website so they could get a rough idea of what I was talking about. They said "Anything that has flames and is fed by solid fuel, wood, briquettes, etc and has air holes, draughts etc that flames can come out of is classed as open fire. The only cookers acceptable are the gas cooker, cannister type or gas bottle type or Gas barbeques."

So I can't see how to get around it. The trailstove probably wasn't the best choice as it looks a little out of control compared to some woodgas designs. I guess the real issue is that gas burns consistently whereas wood is a bit more unpredicatable. Any thoughts on that?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:50 pm

I did a google search of "thermette". Dang, they are even more expensive than the kelly Kettle. I'm a bottom feeder and have started production tonight on my version that should be under $2.00 :lol: :lol: :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 pm

I guess the real issue is that gas burns consistently whereas wood is a bit more unpredicatable. Any thoughts on that?

I agree, wood is more unpredictable. burning embers coming out of the holes will certainly find something nearby to catch on fire when you least expect it. Murphy's law/Kiwi Law akso :D :o

therealtrevor_nz

Postby therealtrevor_nz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to fabricate a square version? One of my current projects is trying to convert a tall slim stainless thermos flask to boil water quickly by somehow surrounding the whole internal flash with fire. It was going to plan until after I cut it open to find that the internal flask tapers outward toward the bottom - I had hoped there would be sufficient room to lift the internal part up 100mm or so and light a fire under it, but it closes off any opening between the inner and outer at the top because of the increase in diameter toward the bottom. Hopefully that made sense!

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Hopefully that made sense!

Makes sense. I always wanted to take apart one of those :D I still may do it when winter returns. :(

therealtrevor_nz

Postby therealtrevor_nz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 am

It's interesting, just promise you won't try doing it with half of a hacksaw blade - it's painfully slow! Ask nicely at a metal fabrication place and they might even do it for nothing.

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”