Backpacker from Canada

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
LaurieAnn

Backpacker from Canada

Postby LaurieAnn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:08 am

Hello... I see some familiar names on here.

My name is LaurieAnn and I am in Canada. I'm an avid backpacker and paddler and I am also passionate about cooking. I'm currently working on getting my packweight a little bit lighter so I hope I can learn lots here and contribute as well.

irrationalsolutions

Re: Backpacker from Canada

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 am

welcome! glad you could join us!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:42 am

Hi LaurieAnn. Welcome aboard!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

LaurieAnn

Postby LaurieAnn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks everyone.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:46 am

Glad to have you here LaurieAnn :D

We seem to concentrate on cooking, eating and discussing the stoves that are used in the process. :roll: As you know, the way to a mans heart is through his stomach. No doubt that's how you got your husband's attention after he saw your beautiful face. Are you French Canadian? Nice avatar. ;)

The key to a lighter packweight is less food :o

and shorter titanium paddles :D

Glad to have you here. Thanks for your input.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

LaurieAnn

Postby LaurieAnn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:51 pm

zelph wrote:Glad to have you here LaurieAnn :D

We seem to concentrate on cooking, eating and discussing the stoves that are used in the process. :roll: As you know, the way to a mans heart is through his stomach. No doubt that's how you got your husband's attention after he saw your beautiful face. Are you French Canadian? Nice avatar. ;)

The key to a lighter packweight is less food :o

and shorter titanium paddles :D

Glad to have you here. Thanks for your input.

Sounds like a day around my office. We are either writing about eating, preparing to eat, eating or cleaning up from eating... or playing with equipment to make what we are going to be eating. Oh and then we are talking about eating too. Tough job.

Chocolate fondue was how I ended up getting engaged 17 years ago... men are so easy. ;)

Not French Canadian at all... Quebec is a different world... lol. Thanks for the avatar comment. Self-portrait - bathroom mirror - Ansel Adams (Oak in Snow) photo behind.

Tim.

Postby Tim. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Ahhhh....... Food..... Can't live without it :D

Watcha LaurieAnn, I am not French Canadian either :ugeek:
If everything seems under control, then you are not going fast enough!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 pm

LaurieAnn wrote:Not French Canadian at all... Quebec is a different world... lol

Quebec is indeed a different world. they damn near started a civil war. we had our own terrorists right hear in Canada! and they still wanted to be Canadians!! :o they called themselves the FLQ. what a mess that was! :(

MMMmmmmmm; paddling. LaurieAnn; we call it "Water-Hiking" here so the boys don't get confused. ;) :mrgreen:
i live on the west coast; British Columbia; and paddle more than i hike. these UL'ers have accepted me, but they are still a bit stand-off-ish at times. :mrgreen: they don't seem to understand that one can wear ones backpack on their butt. :lol:

Daren..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 am

Hehe Heh,

one can wear ones backpack on their butt.

He's kinda weird, he came up with the true "Fanny Pack" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made a funny!!!!!! :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

LaurieAnn

Postby LaurieAnn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:12 am

DarenN wrote:
LaurieAnn wrote:Not French Canadian at all... Quebec is a different world... lol

Quebec is indeed a different world. they damn near started a civil war. we had our own terrorists right hear in Canada! and they still wanted to be Canadians!! :o they called themselves the FLQ. what a mess that was! :(

MMMmmmmmm; paddling. LaurieAnn; we call it "Water-Hiking" here so the boys don't get confused. ;) :mrgreen:
i live on the west coast; British Columbia; and paddle more than i hike. these UL'ers have accepted me, but they are still a bit stand-off-ish at times. :mrgreen: they don't seem to understand that one can wear ones backpack on their butt. :lol:

Daren..........

Daren... my husband works in Quebec at least two weeks out of every month and he finds that people really treat those from Ontario quite differently. He gets frustrated with it.

I saw the "Water-Hiking" section and wondered about the title. I was a backpacker before I ever canoed and I do see that a lot of backpackers don't understand paddling. I get all sorts of comments about how heavy my gear (aside from the canoe) must be. I think many see the canoeist as the old-time taking the cast-iron cookware and tump-lining a wannigan filled with 100 pounds of gear. While I do take some gear that I might not take backpacking (example: Outback Oven Plus 10 - we only take the ultralight model for hiking) my set up is light-ish (just not UL yet - I want to work on that a bit).

We also are notorious for multiple 3 and 5 km portages. The biggest one was the Bonfield-Dickson run in Algonquin at close to 5.5 km in one shot. On those trips we go as light as we can so no one has to double. There are some days where we paddle 25 km and portage 10 to 15 km.

It's too bad we don't live closer. It would be neat to go paddling with you.

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”