Newb Here

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
realityguy

Re: Newb Here

Post by realityguy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Just finished Crossing Arizona by Chris Townsend last night,before that was The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher(grand canyon),before that was Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking,The Maine Woods(Thoreau).I picked up three or four more the other day at a thrift store that sounded interesting:
*Challenge of the North Cascades/fred becky
*Across The Olympic Mountains,The Press Expedition,1889-90/robert wood(reading that first)
*The Ascent of Denail/hudson stuck
*First Light/ethan hubbard(sojourns with people of the Outer Hebrides,the Sierra Madre,the Himilayas,and other remote places..looks like a lotta cool BW pics..
and *Joe Meek,The Merry Mountain Man/biography by stanley vestal

Got some serious reading to do.. :lol: ..I'm keeping a sharp eye out for anything by Edward Abbey. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:01 pm

I've been nursing one book and can't seem to be left alone long enough to get some serious reading time in. It's the weather!!!!!! blame it on the weather. :lol: "The Maine Woods" Henry Thoreau.......lots of historical stuff in the book that catches my interest. One of the tings was the lumberjacks cut logs in the fall/winter and use a curled knife to mark the ends of the logs with thier own personal "Mark" that will eventually be seen by the lumber mill once the logs arrive there. I had one of those marking tools listed in the "Mystery Tool" forum some months ago(maybe a year ago) :? Back then I was hard pressed to know exactly "why" the lumber was being marked. Come to find out it was the fresh cut trees that were being marked with the tool. All these different lumberjacks had their own markings to ID the logs that they cut down. All the logs wind up in the river come spring after ice out and spring rains drive the logs down river to the mill. Many logs may not make it for a couple of years due to log jams etc. but they still have the mark on the ends. Once they break loose and make it to the mill they get credit for them. The "Mystery Tool" is no longer a "Mystery" :D

Would you like to see more mystery tools?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:20 pm

We are always amused and perplexed by your mystery tools. Bring them on!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !