New member from UK

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
rossm

New member from UK

Postby rossm » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi everyone. I've been backpacking since the mid 1970's mainly in the UK but I've also backpacked in Europe & hiked in the USA. Good to find a site that discusses 'American Rules' backpacking - not the Australian version of budget travel!

I also ski-backpack although not for a couple of seasons. Never frequently either! But an annual trip to Norway was the norm, foregoing the luxury of huts for tent or snowhole. More recently skiing has moved to an annual downhill holiday with the family - still love it!

I don't like huts, bothies or hostels!

I also collect & use vintage camp stoves which developed out of my backpacking. I'm too young to have used them in their heyday but I caught the tail-end & later started 'rescuing' them from car-boot fairs etc.

Your vintage stove section is what brought me here. Looks like a friendly place! Plus I recognise a few names!

Looking forward to taking part.

DarenN

Re: New member from UK

Postby DarenN » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 pm

welcome aboard Rossm!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Welcome again rossm. You've been at it for awhile. I love downhill skiing and am getting ready to try my hand at cross country skiing. It's been a few years since I've ski'd the slopes. I am really impressed with your stove collection...NICE ! Look forward to your input and knowledge. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

rossm

Postby rossm » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks guys!
Getting the backpacking gear dusted off for my October to May 'season'!

Ridgerunner wrote:I love downhill skiing and am getting ready to try my hand at cross country skiing.

I wish I'd done it that way round! Touring was easy but I struggled on the downhills with long 210 ski's & never really became proficient on steep slopes - especially with a heavy pack. Then I tried downhill with short ski's & WOW!! So that's how you do it! I'm still hoping to get some tuition so I can master the telemark.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Wow! :o :shock: .Welcome!That IS a really nice "vintage stove" room you've got there.Excellent display... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

rossm

Postby rossm » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 am

I am lucky - it's our loft room. It doubles as a spare bedroom & my computer room.

I like to keep it all 'hidden away' - just my character - I wouldn't want the stuff all around the house & people coming in saying "do you collect stoves?". My partner is a diamond. When I was doing the loft room out I had a few stoves downstairs & she was perfectly happy to have them around.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:06 am

We're glad to have you here rossm. Me ole cheers china "Frum" is trying to teach me the Queens English from cockney land :mrgreen: I enjoy the banter on OutdoorsMagic that comes to us from the UK.

Your partner sure is a sweet "Diamond" Nice of her to have those old vintage memories hangin around the house. :o

I'm inspired to take a photo of my vintage stoves now that you are here. You may be able to put a name to one of them. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

rossm

Postby rossm » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:49 pm

I'll certainly be glad to help naming any stoves if I can.

I'm a bit of a refugee from Outdoorsmagic - been a long time member but infrequent poster but glad you've enjoyed it.

There is some good stuff on the site but I always felt like most of the time I was eavesdropping on someones IM conversation.

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”