Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
Vibe

Re: Newbie

Postby Vibe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:04 am

BrokenAeroVT wrote:I'm not equipped for welding beyond copper, and I don't believe that weld can endure the heat of a mixing chamber. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with welding steel and brass. I was hoping to find something preconstructed in the dimensions I provided, maybe something like a ss salt shaker, provided it's drillable. Maybe my drill sucks, but I tried drilling through walmart's tiny ss cups from their kitchenware section without any success.

Welding is fusing the parent metal to itself. Sounds like you are talking about soldering instead, and yes that joint would lose strength at a much lower temp. I'm a bit confused though. Most stoves I've seen that, actually have mixing chambers, do not perform the combustion inside that chamber, but rather then rout the mixed gas to a combustion area.
SS is a bit tough on tools, more so than Al or Cu or even mild steel. What size holes are you drilling? 0.015" or 1/2"? A Dremil rotary tool and appropriate diamond bit might be more effective.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

BrokenAeroVT

Postby BrokenAeroVT » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:20 am

Vibe wrote:
BrokenAeroVT wrote:I'm not equipped for welding beyond copper, and I don't believe that weld can endure the heat of a mixing chamber. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with welding steel and brass. I was hoping to find something preconstructed in the dimensions I provided, maybe something like a ss salt shaker, provided it's drillable. Maybe my drill sucks, but I tried drilling through walmart's tiny ss cups from their kitchenware section without any success.

Welding is fusing the parent metal to itself. Sounds like you are talking about soldering instead, and yes that joint would lose strength at a much lower temp. I'm a bit confused though. Most stoves I've seen that, actually have mixing chambers, do not perform the combustion inside that chamber, but rather then rout the mixed gas to a combustion area.
SS is a bit tough on tools, more so than Al or Cu or even mild steel. What size holes are you drilling? 0.015" or 1/2"? A Dremil rotary tool and appropriate diamond bit might be more effective.

Drilling 1/4" and 1/16". Right, my bad. It's soldering, not welding. It was a careless choice of terms. Fabrication is not my forte. I dont' have the slightest idea how one welds brass and steel.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:45 am

BrokenAeroVT wrote:Drilling 1/4" and 1/16". Right, my bad. It's soldering, not welding. It was a careless choice of terms. Fabrication is not my forte. I dont' have the slightest idea how one welds brass and steel.

Drilling through thin material is tricky. the 1/16" hole may go OK, but if the material is thin enough, even that can cause problems with the bit grabbing and causing unwanted distortion. You can either start off smaller and work up in size one bit at a time - increasing the size by 2 or 3 thicknesses at a time, or go to more of a grinding/filing approach usng a high speed rotary tool.
My history involves 20-25 years of fabrication of one sort or another - no problem.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Nikola Tesla is stirring within you, let it flow my friend. I totally enjoyed viewing your videos, very well done. Refreshing to see inovations of this quality.

The Ti-cow-do vid put me on the floor :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in the process of packing for a 7 day outing with my wife and when I return we'll talk more.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”