Bye Bye gas stove, im an alchy now!

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
roob

Bye Bye gas stove, im an alchy now!

Postby roob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Im a new guy here, hello!

I am 19 and have been solo backpacking since I was 14 every holidays... seems like many years to me! but only in the UK, because I live in the Lake District so its cheaper than going elsewhere! Only this year we have had experienced real issues with my campingaz stove. In the UK we have been having a very cold winter, so while everyone moaned about icy roads and having to clear their car of snow, I was excited about getting into the middle of it!

When I got tired the first evening, I pitched up, got out my stove and wanted to start cooking, however the stove wouldnt light, the gas wasnt evapourating, simply bubbling out of the top! I looked at the temperature, and it was -25celcius! No wonder, that is below the boiling point for the mixture of gas I had. I managed to get it sort of working but it never boiled anything. A week of under cooked, cold tortellini it was!

From then on I decided that fuels that are already liquid are probably a good idea! I am an undergraduate chamical engineer (2nd year) and have been looking at these stoves here for a few weeks, doing some calculations, and they look great! I really want to get involved in the development of these things and get some trials done!

Roob

DarenN

Re: Bye Bye gas stove, im an alchy now!

Postby DarenN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 pm

welcome aboard, Roob! glad to have you join us.

over here in Canada we've heard about the nasty winter you are having in the UK. lots of snow!!

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Nasty weather is everywhere. Call it global cooling and global warming. :D We can adapt!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Alchy/meths work just fine in cold weather. Once you get a "Super Stove" and use it a few times, you'll never ever go back to canister stoves. :mrgreen:

Several years ago I introduced fiberglass cloth into the world of stove making for the backpacking world. Many stove makers are now using this material to make their stoves. Give it a try in the stoves that you might be building in the future. DIY stove design and building can be fun. Use your engineering studies to help in your designing.

We're glad to have you here. Pull up a stove, light it up, keep warm, do some research in our archives......have fun!!!!

Dan
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:05 pm

zelph wrote:Several years ago I introduced fiberglass cloth into the world of stove making for the backpacking world. Many stove makers are now using this material to make their stoves. Give it a try in the stoves that you might be building in the future.

Dan

FYI
I found roles of fiberglass "tape" in the ductwork section of Home Depot. Didn't feel like there was any adhesive on it and looked like regular roven woving. Forget the price but it would make MANY stoves for not much.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Skidsteer used fiberglass drywall joint tape and he said it worked ok after the adhesive burned off.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Vibe wrote:
zelph wrote:Several years ago I introduced fiberglass cloth into the world of stove making for the backpacking world. Many stove makers are now using this material to make their stoves. Give it a try in the stoves that you might be building in the future.

Dan

FYI
I found roles of fiberglass "tape" in the ductwork section of Home Depot. Didn't feel like there was any adhesive on it and looked like regular roven woving. Forget the price but it would make MANY stoves for not much.

you meant to say "woven roving" right? ;)

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm

hehe, that turned my tounge over into a knot :mrgreen:

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:15 am

DarenN wrote:you meant to say "woven roving" right? ;)

Daren........

LOL
Until you pointed it out...I thought I had. :mrgreen:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

roob

Postby roob » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 am

I really like the fibreglass idea, before I stumbled across these stoves I made a few of the "penny stoves" but rather than a penny I used a threaded rivet and a screw. They were pretty efficient, so long as there was no wind, it was warm, etc. if it was any of these things it didnt work half as well, so I wrapped fibreglass round the outside... bad idea, I got thousands of splinters, then spilt alcohol on it and the whole thing set on fire!

I dont think that putting fibreglass inside one of these would work too well, because you are relying on the meths to get really hot and evapourate, the fibreglass would seriously slow that down and you would have to use loads of primer.

I think your stoves are best, because rather than relying on making the fuel keep up its own pressure, you are letting it burn how it wants to for those conditions, so the stove will always work, as long as you can light it.

Roob

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 am

I got thousands of splinters

Tell that to Tinny! :roll:

I dont think that putting fibreglass inside one of these would work too well, because you are relying on the meths to get really hot and evapourate, the fibreglass would seriously slow that down and you would have to use loads of primer.

Slow can be a good efficient thing! I use to make penny stoves and the were stuffed with fiberglass insulation and performed well. Most here do not like the penny stoves as they are afraid the may blow up on them! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”