New member says hello

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
sudden

New member says hello

Post by sudden » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Hello all,

I'm really new to camping stoves in general. I don't hike but used to do a lot of hunting and fishing. We would spend the day 3 miles from our trucks when hunting and always took along food etc. we just started a fire when needed but these alcohol stoves have me fascinated. I've been all over the internet reading and watching videos.

I just ordered my first ever stove (a zelph super). I really like the design of this stove and the low temperature capability.

I want to use it on a trip to Yellowstone in May (I'll be in a motorhome but really want to learn how to get along with minimal equipment).

Thanks to all of you for a great forum.

sudden

p.s. I did reply to the coffee post. There's a better method than the french press and I think the idea could be made even simpler for ultralight coffee addicts. I love my coffee and like to roast my own using a popcorn popper.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Re: New member says hello

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 pm

We're glad to have you here. Thank you for your interest in the Super Stove design.
p.s. I did reply to the coffee post. There's a better method than the french press and I think the idea could be made even simpler for ultralight coffee addicts. I love my coffee and like to roast my own using a popcorn popper.
I have some seed pods/seeds from the Kentucky Coffee tree and will be wanting to roast them and grind them into coffee just to see how they taste. They were a substitute for coffee during the civil war. Your method of using a corn popper sounds interesting. How do you use it, what length of time?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 am

Hi Zelph,

These two links cover they way I do it. Someone else came up with the idea years ago. It turns out that roasting green coffee in a popcorn popper does a really good job. The only drawback is the small amount you can roast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiOiKf5_op4 The only difference here is that I leave the lid on to keep temps up (depending on the model you have, or the beans you are roasting you may have to leave it off.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php
I follow this guide. It's really all you need to know about roasting your own coffee. The pics are great but I pay more attention to temperatures. It takes some trial and error to get the roast the way you like it. Also, I don't think this method would be safe for really dark roasts (higher temps and melting plastic).

If you search the internet you will find many other diy methods (including the dog bowl technique, very simple but works well).

I modified my popper a little bit. I bypassed the thermal cutoff and added a switch to control one of the heating coils. This way, I can cut down the heat as I wish during a roast.

One more thing. It's important to have a fast way to cool off the beans when you hit your mark. I use a strainer and swirl them for a bit then into the freezer for a couple of minutes. Or you can just blow air on them to stop the roast. Otherwise you might get some overshoot of the roast. One of my first roasts turned to ash so be careful.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Sweet Marias is very informative, thank you for the links and information :D
16. Imminent fire ... 13:30 - 497 f
The photo that accompanies that title was humorous......................sounds like a stove problem :o :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/