New here from Rainier WA

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
Bfinnigan

New here from Rainier WA

Post by Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:18 pm

My actual name is Brent and I live near a small town called Rainier. I left the rat race 20 years ago and moved out to 8 acres with a Mt Rainier View, a creek and two ponds. Mt Rainier National Park is only an hour drive from me so I spend a lot of time up there with my wife and daughter hiking, canoe/kayaking and snow shoeing. I am a licensed massage practitioner and work as an independent contractor for a chiropractic clinic in Tacoma treating injuries. I also work part time for StormKing Spa and cabins just outside of the National Park.

I have a good sized metal shop and wood shop for a creative outlet and some extra money doing some custom work. I still like to forge steel just like they did 2000 years ago with a hammer and anvil. But I also have a new induction forge which is state of the art for heating metal up fast. Most of my projects are frontier and medieval knives, hatchets and tomahawks. I have a FB page with a gallery of many of my projects over the last few years. It keeps from spending too much time in front of the computer and TV.

It almost keeps me out of trouble most of the time. :lol:

I have been hiking and back packing since I was four and plan to do so until they drop my carcass into a casket. I climbed Mt Rainier back in 1982 and Mt St Helens in 1996. Once was enough for both of them. By the time I was 16 y/o I had an internal frame Jansport back pack, a new Peak 1 stove, gortex and polypropylene clothes and Kastinger boots. I was hardcore into it and still am. And 30 years later I still have the original gear and I am glad I paid the bucks for quality that will still be usable three decades later.

I look forward to visiting and networking with all of you here.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Re: New here from Rainier WA

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:56 pm

We sure are glad you stopped in to say hi Brent. Good thing your mom said "go out and play" :D My mom always yelled "get out and play, but don't be late for dinner" I've been outside most of my life and eating good. :mrgreen: sounds like an ideal working situation you've got yourself into, nice choice!!! I've always wanted to pound iron. I still have a metal garbage can filled with forge coal waiting for me to break away from stoves. I sold my forge that was minus the hand crank blower.....darn-it!!! Nice to have quality equipment, I'll agree on that. My Eddie Bauer down bag still serving well :D

We'll be glad to share and listen, glad you're here. My name is Dan
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Oh-Oh!Gotta watch out for those Washingtonians..Those people just can't be trusted.. :o

Howdy neighbor! :lol:

Are you on NWhikers?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:53 pm

hi Brent! welcome aboard!!
done a bit of blacksmithing myself. mostly soft stuff. ornamental. built myself a two burner Riel forge. still have my old hand crank blower out in the shed.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:36 am

It's good to see a few of us are still trying to keep the art alive. I like cold hammering copper, brass and silver to. I just bought a 15kw induction forge last summer but still have my blown gas forge also. Used it tonight for the first time in 3 months to heat the shop. It was 24 deg and my hands were stinging within 20 minutes. Do you have any of your work on line? I love seeing all of it whether someone is just beginning or a long time veteran. It's all inspiring to me.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:25 am

Pounding copper is good!!! You won't want to arm wrestle this guy:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:48 am

Bfinnigan wrote: Do you have any of your work on line?
no. i really havn't done all that much 'smithing. some fireplace tools for my cabin, with "twisted cage" handles (fun to make). i took on a project once for a retail store. a shelf unit, all twisted square stock and curly-q's.
raised copper. when i was still an apprentice, i raised a set of copper bowls for my mother. the biggest was about 6" diameter, 4" deep, and the other three nested in it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast