hi there! need advice on project w/ kid

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
lugnut

hi there! need advice on project w/ kid

Postby lugnut » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi there, I just found this forum. Looks like there's a lot of cool stuff here!

My son (8 y.o.) and I just came back from a backpacking trip that was great, except for one thing: we used a ton of white gas purifying water. We were using a conventional MSR stove while there was good alder wood all around. So now we're thinking of making our own wood-burning stove for a future trip. Thus- I found this site.

There are SO MANY designs out there -- here on this site, on Youtube, etc. ... which would you recommend for us to build as a first project?

Here's some information that may be relevant to your recommendation. We're pretty handy in general but we don't have a lot of specific metal working experience or tools. We live in the pacific northwest so there is lots of wood around but a lot of it is damp. Generally we don't really "cook" when we're camping, we just boil water for drinks and easy-to-make food. The stove doesn't need to be tiny but should be back-packable somehow. Of the designs I've seen, "rocket" stoves look most appealing to me because of the continuous fuel feed, but since I haven't made or used anything like this, I don't really know.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-lugnut

zelph

Re: hi there! need advice on project w/ kid

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Welcome lugnut! :D

Hmmm. Make your first one out of a 1 quart paint can. You can purchase them at the big box hardware stores in their paint department. Use a can opener of the church key type to make the bottom and top holes. Use a 2 inch high piece of half inch hardware cloth for the pot support, also available at the same store. Make a grate out the same hardware cloth. This stove is easy for a Father /Son DIY quality time project.

Church key opener
: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/roy ... MgodUDgAxQ

You should be able to find some dry fuel under the largest conifer trees up where you are. I saw that in a Rambo movie :mrgreen: ;)

Make some "buddy burners" using cupcake papers, paraffin and sawdust. Can't find dry wood, use the buddy burners.

Store the pot support around the outside of the can.

Search our wood burner threads for info on vertical stacking of twigs and lighting from the top.

Again, welcome to bplite, enjoy your stay and share some photos of your finished stove projects(plural).....you cant' just make one :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

lugnut

Postby lugnut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks, zelph. We can do what you said -- it might be a good "basic model" to see if more complicated things actually perform better.

In general, we're pretty handy and geeky ... so that basic model might take too little time. Any input on a relatively simple one with the rocket design?
Here's one of a thousand on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwujZFK05rY
?

Cheers, lugnut.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:40 am

Oh yes, we have a volcano or two:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:51 pm

If the simple stove would be too simple you could go back in the threads and try your hand at a tent stove. zelph had a contest a while back and there were some clever ideas used.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

lugnut

Postby lugnut » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:36 pm

thanks for all the input & videos, we'll probably whip something up this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. -lugnut

lugnut

Postby lugnut » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:31 am

results in this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5870
thanks.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 am

lugnut wrote:results in this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5870
thanks.

It's a good beginning. Now improve by making another one :D