Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
Cary75

Postby Cary75 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi, I'm Cary. I have 3 kids so my backpacking style is greatly influenced by my family. I've had lots of fun trying to make my own stoves and cones, but I don't own many tools and they rarely turn out the way I want them to. I own several Zelph stoves and Flat Cat Gear and Caldera Cones, so I take a different configuration on each trip. I've settled on cooking over candles to make dinners that everyone will eat, and boiling water in the morning for coffee and cocoa. We are involved with Scouts, so I get a lot of interested questions whenever I bust out my cooking paraphernalia and I've been asked to share how I got my small son's pack so lite. I usually lurk, so I may rarely post a question:)

zelph

Re: Newbie

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Thank you for registering and having an interest in how stove makers come up with their creations. I don't really do any outside soliciting of gear reviews so I'm the little guy of the stove world.

Sure, ask away if you think of something that we can help out with. :D

Glad to have you here. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 pm

Tell us about "cooking over candles" how big and how many to cook dinner?

Cary75

Postby Cary75 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:51 pm

I really like the survival candle, but 5 or 6 tea lights work well too. Lately I've enjoyed using those figure 8 flatbreads to make pizza on. I put one side down in my fry pan, add pizza toppings, and flip when the bottom is toasty. My kids also enjoy quesadillas made this way, or even burritos. Grilled cheese is obviously a no-brainer. I've even done hash browns and powdered eggs and once a pineapple upside down cake. I believe in making food choices that the kids will definitely enjoy backpacking, not forcing them to eat some rice, pasta or instant mashed potato concoction ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Gee, if I had a dad like you I would have started camping a lot earlier and ate well to boot! :D

Someone on the forums at backpackinglight just said he used tea lite candles to simmer...coincidence. It's the first time I've heard of using the tea lites to slow cook or bake. Very interesting...thanks for sharing that. I made a burner one time using olive oil and wicks stuck in glass holders. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Ok, found it:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&hilit=olive+oil

With this stove you could light as many "candles/wicks" as needed. The burner had to be totally sealed in order to be a viable burner :mrgreen: Storage of the stove is a pita. It was a fun project.

Got a link to the survival candle you referred to?

guyprotection

Postby guyprotection » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:54 am

Newbie here
I really like the survival candle

LadyLand

Postby LadyLand » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi! I'm another newbie here :D

ZigiZagi

Postby ZigiZagi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Hello! Nice to meet you!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Welcome LadyLand and ZigiZagi. Enjoy your visit. Stay awhile if you like and share your thoughts :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”