Hello from Texas !!

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
sharkbait

Hello from Texas !!

Postby sharkbait » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:04 pm

My name is Darrell Morgan and I live in central Texas. I'm a newbie at this, but have been reading alot about backpacking, hiking, etc. at this and other sites. My parents took us kids camping, but that was a LONG time ago. I bought a White Box stove for my first, and a Trangia just after that. Plan on experimenting with both, and making my own "set-up" when I figure out what works best for me and my wife. Any suggestions and advice on the stoves, cookware, DIY gear, etc. are greatly appreciated, and am looking to make this a lifelong sport / hobby. I've already started looking for some Heineken cans, but not having any luck. Can anyone tell me where I might get a couple of them?
Best regards to all and Happy Hiking!! :)

Allen

Re: Hello from Texas !!

Postby Allen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Darrell!
Welcome to the forum :)
I get My 24 oz Heineken Cans from Krogers. Have You checked them? Any Store near a college campass
would be a good bet.

Cheers!

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Hello Darrell,

Not sure how the liquor laws are in your part of the world, but here in Seattle all the major grocery stores. such as Safeway, sell the Heinekin Keg in the 24 oz size for about $2.50. If you are in a dry county where beer is limited to 4%, or not available in grocery stores, you may have to drive to another to find it. You may try calling a local distributer to see if they can tell you where.

Take a look around this blog and you should find many good ideas. Feel free to chime in and add your own unique insights as well.

Welcome!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:36 am

Welcome aboard, Darrell.
24oz. Heinies go for about $2.00 around here(Ohio). They are not a big seller. Some Kroger stores don't carry them because of slow sales but others do. Check and Party/liquer stores in your area. They usually have full variety.

Search through the archieves here for alot of good info on building stoves, cooking, and dyi projects. We are always receptive to new ideas , so don't hesitate to chime in. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

russb

Postby russb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:27 am

Welcome to bplite. Only advice I can give is to read this forum. Lots of ideas are floated by the group. W are not apprehensive about posting ideas for others to try either.

sharkbait

Postby sharkbait » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for all of the replys and info. I live about an hour from Texas A & M University, so I have alot of places to check around there. The small towns in my immediate area just don't carry the Heineken 24's. Looking forward to it all !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:24 am

Welcome!!!! were glad to have here and hope you enjoy your stay. If you don't find a Heinekin within the next few days. I'll be glad to send an empty one to you. :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 am

zelph wrote:Welcome!!!! were glad to have here and hope you enjoy your stay. If you don't find a Heinekin within the next few days. I'll be glad to send an empty one to you. :)

It's on its way. :)

After you have used your whitebox stove and Trangia a few times out on the trails come back and post a review on them. Stove makers like feedback :D

sharkbait

Postby sharkbait » Thu May 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks alot for the Heiny Pot zelph!! I hope to try it out soon at Enchanted Rock state park.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 08, 2008 9:22 pm

sharkbait wrote:Thanks alot for the Heiny Pot zelph!! I hope to try it out soon at Enchanted Rock state park.

You're welcome, glad to help out.

Bill Barlowe, the maker of the Whitebox stove says his stove was made for wider pots. The Heineken diameter is too small.

What's the story behind "Enchanted Rock"? How did it get it's name.

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”