Hello from Texas !!

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
sharkbait

Re: Hello from Texas !!

Postby sharkbait » Fri May 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Here's a little info on the background of "Enchanted Rock" in the Texas Hill Country.

Tonkawa Indians believed ghost fires flickered at the top, and they heard weird creaking and groaning, which geologists now say resulted from the rock's heating by day and contracting in the cool night. A conquistador captured by the Tonkawa described how he escaped by losing himself in the rock area, giving rise to an Indian legend of a "pale man swallowed by a rock and reborn as one of their own." The Indians believed he wove enchantments on the area, but he explained that the rock wove the spells. "When I was swallowed by the rock, I joined the many spirits who enchant this place." The first well-documented explorations of this area did not begin until 1723 when the Spanish intensified their efforts to colonize Texas. During the mid-1700s, the Spaniards made several trips to the north and northwest of San Antonio, establishing a mission and presidio on the San Saba River and carrying out limited mining on Honey Creek near the Llano River.

There is hiking, rock climbing and primitive camping available here. There is a website for this place, as it is a state park.

zelph

Re: Hello from Texas !!

Postby zelph » Fri May 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks a million sharkbait. Cool history on how it got it's name. I wonder if that's where Joe Live is hanging out. Causing those creaking noises in the night. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”