New Walmart Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
Blazinator

Re: New Walmart Backpack

Post by Blazinator » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:04 am

That's an awesome pack. This pack came with 2 daisy chains that run down the back of it, and similar straps on the shoulders:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Produ ... k/13285137

It could definitely use more though. I was thinking about hanging the bag below the pack. I stand 6'4", so there should be plenty of room below it for the bag to hang and not get in the way. I may just ditch the sleeping bag. It is fairly warm here in Texas during most of the year. I wonder how a decent blanket and my pad would work....

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 am

What's the exact weight of the pack?..might check into one for the wife(even though I've given her several).Can you hang the bag off the bottom of the back straps?Too high up yet? Some packs have some cross slotted plastic pieces sewn to the bottom outside portion of the pack for slipping a strap through..might be just what is needed there without a lot of hassle.
Check at this store under hardware--->if you can find exactly what you need,I can pick them up for you when I'm close to down there and mail them for practically nothing(probably $1 verses what they charge ;) )...I have to wear blinders in that store... :mrgreen: Hmm..maybe I better check.I could use at least three sets of those for my packs..My golites only have grommet holes under them and that's the one spot I can't strap anything on my 16oz pack.. ;)

Edit:Found the diamond lash tabs or the square ones here---> http://www.seattlefabrics.com/sewable_hardware.html ..I'll probably run down next week(today?) and buy a bunch if i can't find any on some old partial packs I have...Let me know if you need some..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Cuz is awesome with the sewing machine! Is that the proverbial kitchen sink strapped to that pack? Image
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:05 pm

ive used mine a couple of times now and really like it so far for day trips, but i still pack for an over nighter. i havent had to hand a bag from it yet but my bag packs down to the size of a # soccer ball or a little larger then a softball. but im also thinking about going back to get one in a different color. i picked up the black one and wish i had gotten the blueish one instead.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:27 pm

realityguy wrote:Found the diamond lash tabs or the square ones here---> http://www.seattlefabrics.com/sewable_hardware.html ..I'll probably run down next week(today?) and buy a bunch if i can't find any on some old partial packs I have...Let me know if you need some..
Brilliant! Now I need to learn how to sew... :lol: I wonder how much it would cost to have someone locally sew a few of those on.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:38 pm

I think they are plastic pieces with small holes around the outside edges..haven't really seen them up close...or taken a good look at them before.I couldn't get there today,went a different direction. :roll:
I know I've also seen ones that are about 1"x3" with the slots going a single direction across the short distance of the plastic which is all that is really needed.
The wife and I stopped in a few stores today to see if we could maybe find someone that stocks the "pacific crest" label..nope.
Unfortunately if you google it you'll get swamped with everything about the "pacific crest trail" and using fanny packs... :cry:
I have one more obscure place i need to check out around here..a surplus/sports store.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:03 am

Got my wife one today:

I also made myself a handy knife hanging spot:

Gotta love Mora's and their buttons.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:57 am

but im also thinking about going back to get one in a different color. i picked up the black one and wish i had gotten the blueish one instead.
That didn't take long to come to life :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 am

Okay..tell the truth..who sewd the button on for ya? :evil:

:lol:

maybe I'll get the wife to check those out..She only has 5-6 packs i brought home for her ..unfortunately she is small and oriental so it's hard to "fit" her right. :roll:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:52 pm

zelph wrote:
but im also thinking about going back to get one in a different color. i picked up the black one and wish i had gotten the blueish one instead.
That didn't take long to come to life :D
True, but it was IR who was contemplating getting a blue pack and Blazinator who actually got one. I checked them out yesterday. They seem to have some type of a waterproof lamination on the inside. I wonder how well that will hold up over time :roll: I didn't remember that plastic "feel" to the pack when I looked at them a year ago. Also, the side pockets seem to be sewn all the way up the sides now. :? Either they made some changes or more than likely the oldtimers is slipping in again. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !