Interesting idea, balanced pack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
sudden

Interesting idea, balanced pack

Postby sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 10:49 am

This looks like a good idea to me. Has anyone ever used this pack? (or something like it)

http://www.aarnpacks.com/features/multifunction.html#bp
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Re: Interesting idea, balanced pack

Postby zelph » Mon May 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Not I and I don't think I would like all that on my front side. Too restricting, can't undo my fly if necessary without taking the whole thing off.

This view shows how it would limit your reach around to the front of your waistline......bummer.
Attachments
AFormhipbelt.web jpg.jpeg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 1:34 pm

lol, they forgot the most important easy access point.

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 pm

I was more worried about my back when I stumbled (no pun intended) across the balanced pack.

I'd love to find something that puts most of the weight on my hips. I'm only supposed to lift ~10lbs max and carry 3-4lbs due to a back problem. I've even looked into a cart as an idea (used to haul deer out of the woods).

Thanks to a hammock link connied provided, I found ramblnrev's youtube site (http://www.youtube.com/user/ramblnrev#p/u/8/rEclLUWWgxE). He has some walking/getting up limitations and does fine in a hammock. That seems to be the way to go for sleep/chair. Now I need to optimize pack weight and distribution. I already have nice walking sticks from Leki, they help take the weight off and add stability.

Best part is I have a young beagle who will not leave my side. He's gonna get his own pack :)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 11, 2010 1:54 am

I had a North Face Ruthsack and large waist pack to match, some years ago, I used to pack for "camping".

I carried my "kitchen" in the waist pack and I wore it around front, except when I needed to see the trail.

I need to see foot-placement, when there are roots and rocks, and like that, on the trail.

I like lumbar packs and waist packs. I used to prop my old rucksack up on the waist pack worn in back.

There are also tactical vests that make a comfortable carry, for some.

I suggest, though, try shoulder-harness water bottles and shoulder harness attachments for gear to balance the load, fore and aft.

There are accessory pack bags made to be mounted on the shoulder harness. That, and small waist belt pouches, usually made with the waistband.

However, I have found a well-fitted pack, by a store employee who knows fitting a pack and has bags of measured weight to put in a likely pack you try on, and then, make adjustments so there is more load transfer to hips or to shoulders to suit you.

There are packs waist straps specifically made for taking more weight on the hips and for comfort doing so.

Here is my website page for packs: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/gear1b.html

I list only backpacks under 2.5 lbs. and specifically designed for ultralightweight and lightweight backpacking.

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 am

Thanks for the link.

I have a fly fishing chest pack that I plan to enlist for hiking. http://www.williamjoseph.net/products/product_1.aspx

My only goal for now is a single overnight in the woods with a short hike. If I add a waist or fanny pack to the mix, I should have a decent amount of space for gear and not much weight on my back. I'm leaving for yellowstone next week (but staying in a motorhome). I'll take your advice and find a good outfitter for advice on proper fit.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Ditto to the good outfitter. I got my Osprey Exos and I have to say it is fitted to me very well. I can let the pack ride on my hips more or my shoulders or in between. Mostly though it rides on my hips. Makes for a much better experience.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 11, 2010 3:56 pm

I have had a good outfitter let me bring in a laundry bag of the stuff that goes in my backpack, load it in the Dana Design Big Horn pack he was selling, and he fit the pack to me.

I think I could carry bricks in that pack and not be thrown off balance. That was when I carried "iron" and rescue rope for Mountain Rescue purposes.

Pricey though. They have smaller packs, but the pack weight itself is more than 2.5 lbs. and that is the only reason it is not on my website for the great backpacks. Do have a look at the two pages of ideas over there.

It doesn't have to be pricey. BTW, I like fishermen's vests.

In terms of a backpack, I do want to emphasize: Have what you want in your backpack with you, load it up right there in the store, and let the skilled outfitter employee do the fitting.

Either that or full price refund policy, like REI.

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue May 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Hadn't even thought about having them load it up. Thanks for the good advice.

REI has a store in Bozeman, MT and in Madison, WI. Depending on our route we should be able to hit one of them on the way out or back.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 11, 2010 5:18 pm

I am not saying REI has the best packs made, they do have some good ones, and REI also has some staff that can "fit a pack".

The main thing about REI is the full refund policy.

If you don't tear it up or get it dirty. That is how they manage to have successful mail order.

Other businesses will do that, if you ask. But right now, I think if you experience what a good outfitter can do to "fit a pack" you will be pleasantly surprised.

I think I remember there was an excellent outfitter in Jackson Hole, WY. I don't know Yellowstone anymore. I haven't been there since the 1950's, but I recall the towns around there had good stuff. Casper, WY was one of those towns. There are outstanding fly fishing outfitters on the Montana side of Yellowstone Park, I recall.

My dad was the fly fisherman. He made sure we could all do fly fishing and handle a canoe.

We caught some fine Cut-Throat trout in Yellowstone Lake, just off the shore. Every time we made the turn to go along the shore, the trout hit. We got our limit and dad put the guts on a rock for the Osprey on top of the tall tree.

I hope they still allow fishing in the park.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”