Quilt prototype

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
Pnw.hiker

Quilt prototype

Postby Pnw.hiker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 am

I have a nice down bag but it's overkill for summer - just end up using it like a quilt. So I need a quilt for warm weather. Made a cheap prototype and will test the dimensions on some upcoming trips. Then I'll make a light weight and more expensive version.

First prototype, not too bad. Initial dimensions came from my down bag. The seam that makes the foot box needs to be shortened - easy to alter.

quilt2.JPG

quilt.jpg

Materials;
5yds x 60" nylon camo, Walmart, $1.97/yd, 2.7oz/sq yd
Polyester batting, 1/2" loft, 81"x96", Wallmart, $8.99, 16 oz

Nylon and batting was cut as shown. There was enough batting left over for extra insulation down the middle, three layers total above my body core. This project was good practice. Finally figure out to use lots of pins to hold everything in place while sewing.

Finished weight came in at 33oz. $19 total cost.

After testing and tweaking, I'll probably buy one of these kits for a lighter, warmer and water resistant version.

zelph

Re: Quilt prototype

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Looks very nice for your first try at it. Second one will be easier :D

Do you sit down on the top portion, bend your knees and slide your feet into it? The foot box is sewn, not zippered right? I use a military zero degree bag for winter camping.

Did you salvage the down from a thrift store quilt?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm

zelph wrote:Looks very nice for your first try at it. Second one will be easier :D

Do you sit down on the top portion, bend your knees and slide your feet into it? The foot box is sewn, not zippered right?

Right, sewn footbox.

I just lie down and throw it on top and stick my feet in (photo shows the quilt upside down, thermarest pad is the only thing underneath my trunk). Depending on how warm it is I might not even use the foot box. This is the way I've used my sleeping bag for years on summer hikes. Never zip it up until it gets below 50.

zelph wrote:Did you salvage the down from a thrift store quilt?

No, went with quilters batting. For the final design I'm going with synthetic because it's a pretty wet climate around here, and synthetics are better if they get wet. My down bag is perfect for when everything is frozen.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Good job! Reminds me of the Nunatak Quilts at a fraction of the cost ;)
http://www.nunatakusa.com
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Duhhh! my bad :mrgreen: I was thinkin of a sleeping bag and I have not the foggiest idea why :roll: I can't believe I did that :oops:

You sleep on your back mostly?

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Good job! Reminds me of the Nunatak Quilts at a fraction of the cost ;)
http://www.nunatakusa.com

Wish I had the money for one of those. Don't think I'm going to add straps like they have. Never needed them with my bag, but we'll see. Something to tinker with.

zelph wrote:You sleep on your back mostly?

On my side.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:59 pm

I sleep on my side most of the time also. Does a quilt of your design easily slide off of you from one side or the other during the night when you are sleeping. Do you have to train yourself to be a non-mover :mrgreen: so the quilt stays put. When you turn over to your other side do you have to be very careful not to get uncovered?

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:56 pm

zelph wrote:I sleep on my side most of the time also. Does a quilt of your design easily slide off of you from one side or the other during the night when you are sleeping. Do you have to train yourself to be a non-mover :mrgreen: so the quilt stays put. When you turn over to your other side do you have to be very careful not to get uncovered?

If it's chilly I tuck myself in every time I roll over without even thinking about it. Not sure but I think I do it in my sleep.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:40 pm

well then it works great :D

The more pins used, the merrier you'll be. Putting in lots of pins is time well spent. Helps keep your sanity for sure. :D

I wish I had time to sew :(

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 am

Ok, I took it out for a test spin...

The layered insulation worker really well, more insulation above my body core, less out at the edges.

The Fabric I used was two to three times heaver than the fancy sleeping bag materials so it's a little stiff. It doesn't drape as easily and lie on the ground around the edges like my down bag does. Because of this it's more drafty. I might add some elastic straps like in the Nunatak Quilts mentioned above. Eventually, when I make the fancy version, I'll use the lighter material.

Final version should be about 50% lighter and warmer too, it'll also cost five times as much.

Took it up to the "lunch counter" on Mt. Adams last night and had a blast. :DB:

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”