You know you're an ultraliter when . . .

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: You know you're an ultraliter when . . .

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 am

My wife likes to collect small flashlights. I'll pass that info onto her. :D Grand kids usually get most of them :D

One comment made said the screw that attaches the clip scrapes her hand. What have you found that would indicate she is correct? any burrs sticking out from the screws?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

RonM

Postby RonM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:45 pm

zelph wrote:My wife likes to collect small flashlights. I'll pass that info onto her. :D Grand kids usually get most of them :D

One comment made said the screw that attaches the clip scrapes her hand. What have you found that would indicate she is correct? any burrs sticking out from the screws?

No, I haven't had any issues with sharp edges or burrs on screws or any place else. The ridge that the clip screws onto is rather narrow and the clip does stick over the top edge - if the clip itself wasn't deburred well, it might be the source of the sharp scraper. Haven't seen this on any of the ones I use regularly. 'course my hands are probably much more "rugged" than hers. I'm very impressed with the general quality of these. For the money I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but these are very nice. I have also purchased a bunch of their "head lights". If people are interested in those I can post links to them. IRRC the most expensive was $10 and had a 500 lumen LED, and a variable power light control, and zoom.

Another thing I should mention (maybe I did already?) is that NiteIze sells 1 watt LED upgrades for Maglites that really work well - I don't remember exactly the numbers, but it seems like 1/2 the current draw, and they will continue to work when the batteries get down to 1 volt. Standard LED many thousands of hours of lamp life (compared to ~ 20hours of incandescent life). They also work well with regular flashlights (although their 3/4 watt LED upgrades don't).
"And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire"

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:17 am

RonM wrote:
Another thing I should mention (maybe I did already?) is that NiteIze sells 1 watt LED upgrades for Maglites that really work well - I don't remember exactly the numbers, but it seems like 1/2 the current draw, and they will continue to work when the batteries get down to 1 volt. Standard LED many thousands of hours of lamp life (compared to ~ 20hours of incandescent life). They also work well with regular flashlights (although their 3/4 watt LED upgrades don't).

Now that is something that all should be aware of and purchase.

I have a large maglite that I keep in the garage clipped to the edge of a wooden shelf. I can't open it to change the batteries. It was not used for a long length of time, batteries must have oozed acid and corroded the entire innards :( bummer....bummer! I could take a pair of large channel locks and put some power to it and get it to open :mrgreen: Because of that failure, I switched to the Pelican brand flashlight model "Black Knight M8"

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/pelica ... MgodWigAFw

RonM

Postby RonM » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Now that is something that all should be aware of and purchase.

I have a large maglite that I keep in the garage clipped to the edge of a wooden shelf. I can't open it to change the batteries. It was not used for a long length of time, batteries must have oozed acid and corroded the entire innards :( bummer....bummer! I could take a pair of large channel locks and put some power to it and get it to open :mrgreen: Because of that failure, I switched to the Pelican brand flashlight model "Black Knight M8"

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/pelica ... MgodWigAFw[/quote]

I just found my C cell maglite at work with the same condition. I was able to chuck it in the lathe and (after a lot of work) got it running again - but I caught it early - it still was a pain to clean out, and I'm not so sure that it will be reliable.
"And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire"

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I have a c-cell maglight that belonged to my Great Uncle and was found and given to me several years after his passing. I too, had a bear of a time opening it up to remove the partially corroded batteries. After much cleaning and lubricating, it is back in service. It is the only thing I have from my uncle so it will always be treasured ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Sounds like a slight amount of off-gassing of acidic fumes can easily cause the raw aluminum inside the case to corrode. The Maglites seem to be close tolerance machined and easy to get bound up by the corrosion. The plastic cased lites seem to be the better choice or do yearly battery changes in the Mags.

2 days ago my grandson took a leaping jump off the couch and landed onto a 2 D cell cheap-o plastic body flashlight. It caused the insulation on the top rim of one battery to get completely scraped off causing it to short out. The flash light layed on the floor till my wife picked up a short time later and called me over to show me how hot the body of the light was. I opened it up to get the batteries out before they could explode. Wow, they were too hot to hold in my hand. Freaky things can happen. :shock:

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am

It doesn't get any lighter than this :ugeek:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:13 pm

I love the 9V batteries. I made one a year or two after the led's first came on the market. A couple years ago I made a Mega light :lol:

ImageImageImageImage

Check out this mini torch/flare I made from a Marine Flare. I cut it down to it's shortest/lightest size and put it back together again. Underneath the black cap is the striker pad for ignition. It's in my garage somewhere. :roll:

ImageImage

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Are those flares normally longer to keep you from burning your fingers?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:41 am

They are normally around 8-10 inches. I made the reduced size for an emergency foul weather fire starter.

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”